Stocking 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labrakitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon bow front tank that I am restocking.

Filter: Eheim Aquaball-I’m not sure the size name but it’s the second biggest
Water Changes: fortnightly
Ph: 6.8
Plants/Décor: heavily planted with bogwood

Fish:
-1 peppermint bristle nose (small)
-2 otocinclus

I was thinking of adding some rummy-nose tetras, would they be suitable? Any other ideas welcome!

Thanks

Well 10gals is too small for your bristle nose and same with the otos. I have a few rummy noses and like them. Could try a Betta or Dwarf Gourami.

The Peppermint bristle nose (the variety is smaller than a regular bristlenose) is going to be moved when it grows to big to a much larger tank, but at the moment it is very small and it wouldn't get any food in the larger tank. Don't otos only grow to 4-5cm? I thought that would be ok for a 10 gallon as there are only two of them.

Doesn't matter about the size to which a fish gets theres a little more to it then that, most books and articles suggest a minimum of 30gals for otos.

I know about all the other things that matter. I have a book that says 2-3 otos would be ok in a 10 gallon and my lfs also said that would be ok.

I beg to differ, but otos can definately live in a 10gal.. jeez, i have had a few in my 5gal, and they did amazingly.

The bristlenose could be comfortably kept in a 10gal its whole life, they only get about 3.5"

I also think that 2 ottos would be okay in a ten gallon tank. I have 2 in my 55 gallon tank and they stay in the same general area every day. They moved a lot at first but now are pretty much settled in to their little home. I think a BN would be okay as well in a ten gallon tank but it would probably be more comfortable in a 20 or larger.

Thanks everyone! That's what I thought. I have the bigger tank as a back up plan incase the bristle nose is unhappy, but the fish seem to be fine in there.

Do you think it would be alright to add a small school of tetras or harlequins?

Just another 2 cents on the otos. My understanding with why you might need a larger tank is only if you are hoping to feed them solely on algae. A 10 gallon may not provide enough algae, but many/most people supplement them with wafers, veggies etc. That seems to decrease the tank recommendations to what seems reasonable for a 4 cm fish.

Thanks for the idea waterpond, that sounds really good! Now I just have to decide what type of tetra/harlequin.

1 PBN
2 otos (should I add 1 more?)-i feed them lettuce, zuccini, algae wafers
6 rummy nose?

what tetra would look the best?

I'd probably opt to move the BN plec out now since it's not a great sized home for him, and then I'd go with 2 otos and 4-6 neon tetra or something :)
I personally wouldn't go for for putting six 2" fish (rummynose) in there.

I'm currently stocking a 10 gallon as well once it's done cycling. I right now have five african dwarf frogs in my big tank that I'm going to move into it along with something simple - like guppies. The frogs are fantastic and are great for a smaller tank. As long as you have some peaceful other fish in it everything is good.

As suggested above, neon tetras would be okay and so would cardinal tetras. You may also go with glo light tetras or a smaller specie of tetra. I wouldn't put rummy nose in a ten gallon (not 6) because I don't think there would be enough room for them to swim. After all, they are a schooling fish and they need room to move. They should be kept with at least 6 for a group so that would rule them out of a ten gallon tank IMO.

Ok thanks, would black neons be alright (because they are a bit larger than normal neons)?

Back
Top Bottom