Stocking 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, I woke up this morning to find my betta fish had died and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any options I had for replacing him?
7 neon tetras
7 ghost shrimp
1 zebra nerite snail
2 male sunburst platies
Thanks for the help!

Aqadvisor says I'm at 99% stocking rate but my filtration capacity is 124%, so I should be able to add a little more without going overboard. I'm thinking just one centerpiece fish?

Thanks for the help!

How new is the tank? And you don't have to go 99% right off the bat! You kill them all in their own waste. I have 250% filtration and still don't wanna stock up to 99 %

But either way id cut the school or neons down and add a few ghost shrimp. They're awesome at cleaning up any accidental extra food

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that the aquarium is pretty old, and cycled.

And I actually have more ghost shrimp than I want at the moment hah

IMO, that would be pushing it a bit. I would either not get the platies, and keep the neons or not get the neons and get another platy or two

Do you have a test kit to know what your water parameters are? Knowing the exact water parameters is much more helpful than Aqadvisor for figuring out your stock capacity. But, you sound pretty well stocked as it is so IMO the best thing would be to just leave the tank as it is so that everybody has their space.
Also, do you know what happened to your betta?

I tested the other day, ammonia was less than .5, ph was about 8ish, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were less than 5 but above 0

Ok. That all sounds fine. .5 ammo is a bit higher than is typically preferred, but its not a toxic level, and you said it was under .5 anyways, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. :)
I still wouldn't add anything else to the tank because of the activity level of your current fish. All the centerpiece fish I can think of wouldn't do well with your current stock and the platies are acting as centerpiece fish anyways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom