Stocking 35 gallon hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MamaWolf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new here, and I was just given a 35 gallon hex tank as a gift, and I have no idea what to put in it. Any ideas? And I'm pretty sure I want freshwater, not salt.

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place :)

Here is a pic of the tank, and its dimensions:
20x17x24 1/2 inches.
(LxWxH)

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_193432.jpg
    IMG_20180121_193432.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 109
Honestly a pair of angels might be the best option seeing as how tall that is, that and schooling fish but those guys work in most tanks

They can, I grew a pair out that only ended up 6in~ tall though, depends on the specific strain so I guess it's sorta a guess. I'm kinda stumped here because I feel like with that height it limits options but maybe that's just me

Right, I could just put several different small schooling fish in there, but I kinda wanted something new, you know? I might try angels, though, I've never kept them before.

Yeah it's nice to try new fish, I would try angels and just have a backup plan in case they outgrow the tank, somewhere you can sell them or give them up or something. Couple tips on angels, they grow fast for the first 3~ months of their lives then grow slowly after that but stop after about 6 months in total, they also do better in temps around 82°, keeps them healthier, shortens their life span a better but I feel like the benefits to the slightly warmer temp helps more

Right, I could just put several different small schooling fish in there, but I kinda wanted something new, you know? I might try angels, though, I've never kept them before.
Ihaveaquariums has a good idea. Personally I'd go with one male Angel and some male guppies. Maybe neon Tetra if you don't like guppies. I keep my Angel at 76 degrees but if warmer is healthier maybe I'll try that too. I know with warmer water you take more of a risk at developing bacteria and lowering oxygen levels from what I've heard.

Okay, so I decided on a pair of dwarf gouramis, some kuhli loaches, and I moved my male guppies, rasboras and bristlenose pleco into the bigger tank. Everyone seems happy and is getting along fine, and from what I've read, the gouramis will eat the guppy fry, so that's a plus. Probably going to add a school of cardinal or candycane tetra, too.

I maybe wouldn't go with kuhlis as the foot print of that tank is relatively small, I might consider a different bottom feeder

I find that my kuhli’s are not active swimmers. They meander around. On the bottom, under things, on top of things and in things. If you set up the space for many levels of meandering the kuhli’s would do fine in that footprint.

Cool, I have this big castle in the middle of the tank that he loves, and plan on adding more decorations soon. They only had one kuhli left when I went, and I heard they do better in three's or more? So I plan on getting a couple more once they're back in stock. And I do have sand as a substrate, they get scratched easily, right? And are they're any inverts I could put in the tank safely? I was thinking a vampire shrimp or two, since they filter feed, but idk how compatible they are.

My tank have RCS and Amanos. So far them and the kuhli’s have coexisted. With kuhli’s the bigger the group the better. I suggest 6 or more. Inspect that castle for sharp edges and holes a Kuhli will try to squeeze thru. I’ve seen lots of posts for injuries for them in plastic and ceramic decorations.

You need plants. Java fern is a favorite they love to wiggle in.

6? Alright, hopefully they have that many when I go to buy more. No sharp edges, I'm very particular when it comes to ornaments, I know they like to squeeze into tight spaces. To be honest, I don't have a green thumb, I've only had success keeping marimo moss alive, so would plastic or silk Java ferns suffice? I have lots of fake plants, lol. I'll try and get some Amanos as soon as they're in stock, and anyone know about the vampire shrimp? They look really cool, I'd love to keep some. And maybe some Japanese trap door snails? Or would the gouramis hurt them?

Back
Top Bottom