Stocking 36 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting out my saltwater fish keeping and I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium. It's my understanding that tangs are generally not recommended for tanks this size because they grow large and need lots of swimming room. With this known I was wondering if it acceptable to put a small blue tang in. My fish store allows you to swap fish for ones of a smaller size if they outgrow your tank. will a small blue or yellow tang be okay?

I'm starting out my saltwater fish keeping and I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium. It's my understanding that tangs are generally not recommended for tanks this size because they grow large and need lots of swimming room. With this known I was wondering if it acceptable to put a small blue tang in. My fish store allows you to swap fish for ones of a smaller size if they outgrow your tank. will a small blue or yellow tang be okay?

IMO no and I'm willing to bet others will agree. These fish love to swim and do not have a small bioload. I also don't agree with the swapping thing and it will be a pain to get out when the time comes. Wait on tangs until you have a tank that can support them, there are plenty of cool nano fish you can keep instead

IMO no and I'm willing to bet others will agree. These fish love to swim and do not have a small bioload. I also don't agree with the swapping thing and it will be a pain to get out when the time comes. Wait on tangs until you have a tank that can support them, there are plenty of cool nano fish you can keep instead

+1 I will completely agree to that.

Another issue with swapping out fish is potentially bringing in diseases with the new fish not to mention territorial problems that arise when a new fish is added.

Yeah again agree with the above its also a case of even if you get a really small one how do you know when the tang is too big. Plenty of other cool fish for your tank though

Back
Top Bottom