Stocking 55 Gallon community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zackmu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Stocking tank with Tetras and Red Tail Shark?

Okay so I have recently come into possession of a 55-65 gallon tank (Non-standard dimensions it seems, but 4' tank somewhere in that range) with it I have also gotten a Rena Filstar XP3 and 2 air pumps.

I currently have a red-tail black shark, and 3 Bleeding heart tetras all temporarily in a smaller tank, and am going to be moving them into this tank once its up and running, I'm also going to be introducing more tetras so they can school better.

My question is should I introduce more bleeding hearts or are they able to school successfully with another tetra?

and finally if I have this red-tail and a school of bleeding hearts/other tetras, what other fish would you recommend for this tank? I've just had a lot of difficulty finding compatible fish for both the tetras and the shark

Bonus Question: Sand or Gravel?

I hate gravel. I use pool filter sand or eco-complete. Just personal preference. No idea on your other questions. I've never had a red tailed shark. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently have a red-tail black shark, and 3 Bleeding heart tetras all temporarily in a smaller tank, and am going to be moving them into this tank once its up and running, I'm also going to be introducing more tetras so they can school better.

My question is should I introduce more bleeding hearts or are they able to school successfully with another tetra?

Bleeding Hearts can be aggressive to other species of tetras. I suggest getting more Bleeding Hearts and making a species only tank. The Red-Tail Shark can hold his own like a BOSS!

For the second question, I would go with pool sand. I used to use gravel when I had Goldfish and an undergravel filter, but with tropicals I use sand or EcoComplete.

Thanks,

Will the Shark be fine with the Bleeding Hearts though? And I understand your reasoning for species only, but is there any recommendation of other species? Preferably not another schooling one of course, because that would be too much for the tank correct?

Will the Shark be fine with the Bleeding Hearts though?

Yes, I think so. They usually keep to themselves unless provoked. I had one stocked with Tiger Barbs at one time. They nipped at him once or twice and then he let them (Tiger Barbs) know who he was...and that was that! They never bothered him again!

I understand your reasoning for species only, but is there any recommendation of other species? Preferably not another schooling one of course, because that would be too much for the tank correct?

I kept Corys and Black Tetras with Bleeding Hearts. The tetras ignored the corys pretty much. In addition, Black Tetras are aggressive like the Bleeding Hearts. The Black Tetras got along with the Bleeding Hearts OK, but I would not put Serpaes, Lemon, Phantom, Neon, or Cardinals in the tank.

You could try Tiger Barbs or maybe Silver Dollars with Bleeding Hearts, but I have no experience with that combination. Bleeding Hearts will attack Guppies, Bettas and other fish that are long-finned or docile. I learned the hard way! I will say that Bleeding Hearts are long-lived fish. I had mine for a number of years.

Last edited:
Hmmm my Bleeding Hearts were docile. But I also recommend building up the group.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave it to me to get the mean ones! LOL. Mine got big! I mean big. When they got big, they pretty much killed everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late response here, had a busy few days especially with setting up the tank! But thank you everyone for the suggestions... I'll definitely build up the group as suggested. I've also been looking into some of the suggestions you guys made in terms of other fish to try, however am cautious as they all seem to be schooling fish and I don't want to risk over crowding the tank? What is your opinion on that, or is a 55 with a heavy filter gonna survive if I eventually introduce another school?

A fear I have with corys is will they conflict with the shark with them both being bottom feeders?

Also still taking any suggestions you have with tank mates

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom