Stocking 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalCrazy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all-
How many guppies can I have in a 55 gallon? I want as many as possible without overstocking the tank, obviously. Thanks!

If you're using artificial decor, you should be ok with a couple dozen guppies. If it's a planted tank, you could probably do a couple more. Just remember that guppies breed like crazy, and 24 can quickly turn into 240.

I have raised guppies on and off for 40 years. I could keep 40 healthy with good filtration and weekly water changes in a 55G. That's not what I recommend you do though. As SherLar stated they will multiply exponentially. You'll end up with a tank full of random feeder guppies quick. I'd recommend you buy a smaller lot of nice guppies of a similar strain. Blues, reds, half blacks or whatever. When they breed you'll have a chance at some pretty fish. You'll have too many adult fish before you know it. At least two females for every male so the females won't be harassed so bad.

It's going to be a planted tank, and I will be keeping only male guppies, so the breeding problem is eliminated. I have a large sump. Would 40 be too many?

It's going to be a planted tank, and I will be keeping only male guppies, so the breeding problem is eliminated. I have a large sump. Would 40 be too many?

heavily or lightly planted, high tech, low tech, mid tech? do you know what kinds of plants?

heavily or lightly planted, high tech, low tech, mid tech? do you know what kinds of plants?

Fairly heavily planted, with anubias definitely and other plants of a similar care level. Haven't really narrowed them down yet. Mid tech.

For me it would look like a pet store tank. With good filtration and WCs you can have quite a few. 40 is possible. Guppies aren't big polluters and they are tolerant of water conditions, PH, temp etc. A more reasonable approach would be start with 20 if your tank is cycled, then monitor your water quality. You can always add more as you go, but if you overstock you won't likely be inclined to get rid of the excess. I would rather have 25 healthy fish that aren't a huge maintenance chore, than 40 that are struggling to stay healthy. A good aquarist tries to raise very healthy fish.

For me it would look like a pet store tank. With good filtration and WCs you can have quite a few. 40 is possible. Guppies aren't big polluters and they are tolerant of water conditions, PH, temp etc. A more reasonable approach would be start with 20 if your tank is cycled, then monitor your water quality. You can always add more as you go, but if you overstock you won't likely be inclined to get rid of the excess. I would rather have 25 healthy fish that aren't a huge maintenance chore, than 40 that are struggling to stay healthy. A good aquarist tries to raise very healthy fish.

Yes of course that is my goal. I was just a little unsure of what numbers would be too many to allow for healthy, happy fish. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom