Stocking 72g Tropical Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ichthy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, this will be my first post besides my introduction post to the forums. I thought a topic about stocking my first community tank would be worthy. :fish1:

It is a family tank as I live with my parents. Both of my parents love fish but I'm the one who knows about fish. I just have to include some of the fish they want while making sure this is a manageable tank.

The tank is a 72g bowfront, running a HOT Magnum Pro HOB canister and an Aquaclear 300. Has two adjustable heaters on either side of the tank for a stable temperature of about 80. It has live plants and I'm working on adding dense coverage in the back corners of the tank.

The current stocking idea list:
1 Peacock eel
1 Angelfish
3 mollies
3 platys
& A school of about 10 rummynose tetras.
I'm going to try some cherry shrimp as well (since I'll be buying some for a different tank soon anyways) but I know they most likely won't last long.

At this exact moment only the three platies live in it with some hitchhiker snails.

I know I have a fair amount of room left in this tank especially since I'm overfiltering but I'd like to ask what you guys thought of this current stocking idea.

I chose rummynoses as I know they're a fairly tight schooling tetra and are much more docile than other tetras, so have a higher likelyhood of being fully peaceful and not nippy.
Also, if anyone could offer any other suggestions of other fish that would work well in this tank, feel free to comment. I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas or suggestions.
Suggestions for a second school of fish, some mid/top dwelling fish, or some fish that would add more color to the tank would be great.

Thanks all! :flowers:

Well have you thought about hatchet fish? They need a super secure lid as they are jumpers. Black neons seem to be popular now and are supposedly easier to keep than regular neons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well have you thought about hatchet fish? They need a super secure lid as they are jumpers. Black neons seem to be popular now and are supposedly easier to keep than regular neons.

Hatchets are definitely a fish I've been considering. The tank has a custom heavy glass lid only with open space for equipment so jumping wouldn't be a problem.
Only problem is I haven't seen them around locally, so if I decided to get them I'd have to pay a lot for shipping or have them special ordered.
The marbled hatchets are really neat-looking fish though.

Good choice with the peacock eel ;) I love mine.

I think you should do a few more rummynoses, 6 praecox rainbows, and a pair of German blue rams.

Hatchets are definitely a fish I've been considering. The tank has a custom heavy glass lid only with open space for equipment so jumping wouldn't be a problem.
Only problem is I haven't seen them around locally, so if I decided to get them I'd have to pay a lot for shipping or have them special ordered.
The marbled hatchets are really neat-looking fish though.

I had some about 10 years ago. One little guy jumped out when I was doing a water change. They get startled easy and that's why they jump. I'm not sure how well they ship.

Back
Top Bottom