Stocking 8 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hblume1999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question: would these fish do well in an 8 gallon tank?

1 neon blue dwarf gourami
4 silver tip tetra

I am open to any suggestions, as this will be my first tank.

I am also wondering if golden white cloud minnows would work, too

silver tip tetras should be kept in schools of 6 or more but that would be pushing it if i were you i were you i would just go the dwarf gourami .... but with the right care you could keep just 4 and the gourami as long as your tank is fully cycled (takes about 6 weeks)

I would say those fish need a bigger tank. Try looking at nano fish. Here's my running list of ones I come across that I think are attractive.
image-2604565722.jpg

Thanks for the advice khuligurl93. How many white/gold cloud minnows would be suitable in an 8 gallon? Also, what is a good centerpiece fish that would do well with the minnows in the 8 gallon?

As I said, this is my first experience with aquariums. How do I cycle the tank?

Not quite sure as I've never owned them myself, but I know they like groups so perhaps about 6? As for a centerpiece fish I think a beta is the best option. An 8 gal is too small for types of fish more commonly used for centerpieces.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/
Here's another helpful article on cycling :)

How would bettas interact with the golden white clouds? And would 4 be a good amount of golden white clouds?

Well unless you just happen to get an extremely aggressive beta I think they'd be fine together. The minnows don't have big showy fins so it shouldn't set the beta off.

I would not keep white clouds (Tanichthys albonubes) with a betta, as white clouds can be somewhat nippy once they get some size on them. They're also very active swimmers and may stress the betta; plus, being so active, IMO they just really need more space.

If you are able to find sparkle eye white clouds (Tanichthys micagemmae), those would be fine. They stay a good bit smaller than T albonubes, but are just as nice looking. They're also a bit calmer IME.

I agree with severum mama, plus white our mountain minnows are a coldwater species
I would put in 8 white clouds and maybe 2 apple snails

I really don't think T. albonubes should be kept in an 8 gallon tank due to their max size and activity level. That's why I recommended T. micagemmae.

I really don't think T. albonubes should be kept in an 8 gallon tank due to their max size and activity level. That's why I recommended T. micagemmae.

What other fish would be good for the 8 gallon?

Ember tetras would be nice. Microrasboras do well in small tanks also, but can be harder to find. For "centerpiece fish", you can keep a pair of sparkling gourami.

I am in a bit of a dilemma.

Which fish, sold at major retailers like petco, would be suitable for the 8 gallon? I found a website that has sparkling gourami but shipping is an arm and a leg, and is way higher than my budget.

Hopefully there are a few options other than the betta, and shrimp which I already know about, and might consider.

Back
Top Bottom