stocking a 10 gal tips/ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just set up a 10 gal freshey and I am running it threw its cycle with a pair of platies, but Im torn on what to stock it with after the cycle has completed. I was kinda hoping to put my male beta in along with 2 more platys and some sales on cleanup duty. But someone mentions, how bout a small group of neon tetras insted of 2 more platys.
And what do u think about the beta I've been told it should get along ok with most other species.
..::Tom::..

fish85 said:
I've just set up a 10 gal freshey and I am running it threw its cycle with a pair of platies, but Im torn on what to stock it with after the cycle has completed. I was kinda hoping to put my male beta in along with 2 more platys and some sales on cleanup duty. But someone mentions, how bout a small group of neon tetras insted of 2 more platys.
And what do u think about the beta I've been told it should get along ok with most other species.

I wouldnt recommend neons, too active. But i would recommend smaller fish like ember tetras.

Either way, i wouldnt do 4 platys. One is definatly enough for a 10 due to their huge bioload.

I like the idea of having your betta in a 10, good call :)

fish85 said:

I'd do the two platys and the Betta or the platys and 6-8 embers (or something similar). I wouldn't do all 3 IMO.

+1^ on everything mentioned so far

I'd personally add a few shrimp, preferably something easily bred such as RCS so you could provide live food for your betta once in a while, and also have a "clean up" crew.
Start off with 6-12 and you will have at least 20 within 1-2 months.

+1^ on everything mentioned so far

I'd personally add a few shrimp, preferably something easily bred such as RCS so you could provide live food for your betta once in a while, and also have a "clean up" crew.
Start off with 6-12 and you will have at least 20 within 1-2 months.

Will the platys eat the shrimp?? And how many snails do u think count as a "clean up" crew

Ok so how dose this sound.......
-1 Pair of platys (2 fish)
-1 school of small tetra ember or (those tiny neon colored fish all different colours, Im not shure what there called or if there ok.) like 6-8 fish.
-3 (i'd like 4) snales, not shure what type
-and some rcs shrimp so I can feed my betta sometimes.
If anyone thinks this set up stinks or if it too much please tell me

fish85 said:
Ok so how dose this sound.......
-1 Pair of platys (2 fish)
-1 school of small tetra ember or (those tiny neon colored fish all different colours, Im not shure what there called or if there ok.) like 6-8 fish.
-3 (i'd like 4) snales, not shure what type
-and some rcs shrimp so I can feed my betta sometimes.
If anyone thinks this set up stinks or if it too much please tell me

Just a couple of questions.
When you say tiny neon different colored fish do you mean glofish? Glofish are zebra danios and need a 20g long tank minimum so they are out.
Number if snails depends on what kind. If your wanting apple/mystery snails they I'd do one. They have a bioload like a fish. If you want nerites I'd do 2 maybe 3 at the most.
Other than that it sounds good. :)

Yes I do meen glofish thanks for the name lol. And I won't be using them Im gonna use ember tetras
And as for the snales nerites are cool cause I kinda want more than one :).... so final will be
2 platys
2 nerite snales
6-8 ember tetras
And some rcs shrimp
Dose anyone think the rcs will over populated my tank ??
I plan on feeding some shrimplets to my betta to keep the population in check.

fish85 said:
Yes I do meen glofish thanks for the name lol. And I won't be using them Im gonna use ember tetras
And as for the snales nerites are cool cause I kinda want more than one :).... so final will be
2 platys
2 nerite snales
6-8 ember tetras
And some rcs shrimp
Dose anyone think the rcs will over populated my tank ??
I plan on feeding some shrimplets to my betta to keep the population in check.

Sounds good :)
The platys and even embers will help keep the shrimp in check.

Back
Top Bottom