Stocking a 100 gallon with Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel0001

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally got my 100 gallon up and running (yeah!) and I'd love some advice on stocking. I got 6 yellow labs and 10 acei from a guy off of CL (beautiful, healthy, all between 1.5-2"). They're loving their new home and I want more!

I've googled, made lists and searched all local pet stores so much that I've just confused myself. There are so many to choose from, but here's what I'd like to end up with: aggression levels matching (or close to) my current fish; lots of color; mostly species with pretty males and females if possible, and the hardier the better. Cost and availability do play a role as I've discovered the slim pickings at the chain stores but also the cost of shipping online.

Tank stats:
100 gallon, 6' long, 16" deep, 24" high
Substrate: sand with some crushed coral mixed in. Decorated with rock and driftwood caves with a few plants.
Am: 0, no2: 0, no3: 5. I couldn't tell you what my ph is because my result doesn't exactly match anything - it most closely matches the high end of the normal ph test and the low end of the high ph range test (using the API master test kit).
PWCs done 1-2x week, using prime + a bit of cichlid conditioner.
Tetra whisper 100 air pump with two large air stones, two 24" 50/50 lights. 900 total watts of heat (fluval pro heaters).
Fluval 405 running with the standard media

So - suggestions on # and type of tank mates? Tips on where I can get them? Also, I'd like to find a couple of non-cichlids, probably a syndodontis cat or two, any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rachel0001 said:
Finally got my 100 gallon up and running (yeah!) and I'd love some advice on stocking. I got 6 yellow labs and 10 acei from a guy off of CL (beautiful, healthy, all between 1.5-2"). They're loving their new home and I want more!

I've googled, made lists and searched all local pet stores so much that I've just confused myself. There are so many to choose from, but here's what I'd like to end up with: aggression levels matching (or close to) my current fish; lots of color; mostly species with pretty males and females if possible, and the hardier the better. Cost and availability do play a role as I've discovered the slim pickings at the chain stores but also the cost of shipping online.

Tank stats:
100 gallon, 6' long, 16" deep, 24" high
Substrate: sand with some crushed coral mixed in. Decorated with rock and driftwood caves with a few plants.
Am: 0, no2: 0, no3: 5. I couldn't tell you what my ph is because my result doesn't exactly match anything - it most closely matches the high end of the normal ph test and the low end of the high ph range test (using the API master test kit).
PWCs done 1-2x week, using prime + a bit of cichlid conditioner.
Tetra whisper 100 air pump with two large air stones, two 24" 50/50 lights. 900 total watts of heat (fluval pro heaters).
Fluval 405 running with the standard media

So - suggestions on # and type of tank mates? Tips on where I can get them? Also, I'd like to find a couple of non-cichlids, probably a syndodontis cat or two, any other ideas?

Thanks!

My tank ph reads the same as yours.

As far as tank mates go, maybe maingano and red zebras.

Synodontis prefer to be in groups of 4 or more. Personaly I have petricola but they all are cool. Maybe a bn pleco also. I have also heard of people successfully keeping a single rainbow shark or a group of loaches with their mbuna.

I ordered my fish on aquabid, ill never go to the lfs again. Just look for reputable people. I found several that were relatively close to my location, so that helps cut shipping costs. I ended up spending less money and getting better fish.

To me it sounds like your PH is around 7.8-8.0 which is perfect.

I am glad you have that 6' tank for the Acei they are active little buggers. The recommended stocking forn Mbuna is 1 male to 3-4 females. In a 100 gallon you could put in 2-3 more species of Mbuna easy. I would get 4 more labs so you have a good size group.

There are tons of fish you could put in there, I would stick to fish around the 4-6" mark and try to avoid the hyper aggressive ones lime demasoni, Kenyi and bumblebee they will tear up the labs and Acei pretty good.

I would recommend Rustys, socolofis, pseudotropheus flavus.

Pretty much any of Synodontis that stays in the 4-6" range would be great in your tank.

With the two solid color species you have, I would consider a mottled or speckled variety (perhaps OB zebras or OB fullburni) or one of the striped varieties like BB zebras.

In my 125 I have the ele labs, Acei, some johanni and mangrino ( all were from 2 sep rescue tanks) ob zebras " tribes" and 2 scolifi and 3 greshaki... Thankfully aggression is minimal and I keep finding fry ;-) it's a nice colorful tank IMO. Alot were rescues but all seem to be thriving...

Thanks everyone! I was picking up some more rock caves at Petsmart (I've got a nasty habit) and found 5 perfectly sized OB zebras on sale. I couldn't resist so they're exploring my QT tank right now. We'll see if they make it...I hate getting fish from the chain stores but they got them in this morning so maybe I'll have good luck this time.

I agree that I should get some mottled or striped colors next. I'll check out all of your suggestions and I'm also lurking all over aquabid now. What a great site!

Rachel0001 said:
Thanks everyone! I was picking up some more rock caves at Petsmart (I've got a nasty habit) and found 5 perfectly sized OB zebras on sale. I couldn't resist so they're exploring my QT tank right now. We'll see if they make it...I hate getting fish from the chain stores but they got them in this morning so maybe I'll have good luck this time.

I agree that I should get some mottled or striped colors next. I'll check out all of your suggestions and I'm also lurking all over aquabid now. What a great site!

My bad, I meant red zebras.

I have a 240 gallon with Africans and I have 4 clown loaches in with them and man are they thriving, and do a good job of clearing up after feedings. It's almost like the Africans know they're not "one of them" and hardly even bother responding to the loaches lack of respect to the Africans "personal space." Highly recommended if you're not a purist!

I love clown loaches! Has anyone else had luck with them? I may give them a try. I do have pretty mellow mbunas, although the red zebras aren't so mellow...I'm glad they're a bit smaller than my labs, hopefully that gives the labs an advantage if they decide to be jerks once I add them.

Rachel0001 said:
I love clown loaches! Has anyone else had luck with them? I may give them a try. I do have pretty mellow mbunas, although the red zebras aren't so mellow...I'm glad they're a bit smaller than my labs, hopefully that gives the labs an advantage if they decide to be jerks once I add them.

I have heard of many people keeping clown coaches with mbuna. I have a couple botia loaches in with mine. The only fish my mbuna pick on, outside of each other, is my albino bn pleco.

You may want to take a look at the Acei White tails. They are completely different from anything else you have and they are really cool fish. They rarely fight, other than mock battles. They will hold their own if picked on, but they don't try and kill the other fish that's picking on them, they just try and make it go away.
This is Topaz and Turq when they were about 6 months old. Now at 11 months they have this beautiful iridescent royal blue color woven throughout their dark body. Of course it never shows up in pictures.
They are the nicest Mbuna I've ever seen or read about. My male Kenyi doesn't even mess with them because they don't react to his aggression, so it's no fun for him.
They also get along really well with my Elec. Yellow labs. Plus they are a nice contrast to the Yellow & Black of the Labs.

Attachments

• 5_12_2011 Topaz Female Acei White Tail.JPG
    5_12_2011 Topaz Female Acei White Tail.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 5_12_2011 Turq ll.JPG
    5_12_2011 Turq ll.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 100
The acei white tails are gorgeous! They're definitely at the top of the list. Did you have to order them?

I read online if your going to get a cat make sure either it is armored or is big enough to handle cichlids. I have 2 in my tank a pictus and a feather fin. Look them up on google if you dont know what they are. Feather fin is a good choice in my mind there big enough for your tank, really pretty with there "feather fin" and are in some cases active through out your tank. With the picyus there just big, it seems to me that mine just wants to get into fights. Hope it helped

Matt_55 said:
I read online if your going to get a cat make sure either it is armored or is big enough to handle cichlids. I have 2 in my tank a pictus and a feather fin. Look them up on google if you dont know what they are. Feather fin is a good choice in my mind there big enough for your tank, really pretty with there "feather fin" and are in some cases active through out your tank. With the picyus there just big, it seems to me that mine just wants to get into fights. Hope it helped

Synodontis Eruptus are great catfish but they get 6-8" and need to be in a school of 4-6. Pictus are good too but will eat any small fish and fry they can fit in their mouth.

They have big personalities though. At least mine does. Lot of spirit. Lol I'm in the same boat as you an getting my 125 gallon setup and just can't wait to get more of them. Id say worth looking at anyways, they will even eat a little algae.

The acei white tails are gorgeous! They're definitely at the top of the list. Did you have to order them?

No, I got them at my not so local FS in Newberg. I live in a small town without a descent FS so I drive a bit to get better, healthier fish. Plus they try to stock fish that are a little bit different, not just the most common. They even carry about 15 different types of Plecos. Something for almost every size tank. The FS where I live carry 2, the Common Pleco and the standard BN Pleco.
I asked my FS where they get their stock and I was told that they buy from local breeders mostly and a few in Washington. I'm not sure where in Washington you are but I'm guessing Western Washington.
Since I'm in NW Oregon, you should be able to get most of the same type of fish. We aren't that far apart from each other, so I hope you can find some.
I wouldn't waste time with the big chain FS. They tend to carry only the most popular fish, not much in the way of unique. Plus they are less likely to special order a particular type of fish for you that they don't already carry.

These sites will give you some quick and useful information on White Tails.

Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"

Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

Here are a couple of photos I took this evening that show the beautiful blue I mentioned earlier. They aren't great pics. but they give you a little better idea of the White Tails color. You can also see what I meant by they make a nice contrast to the Electric Yellow Labs.
Lots of luck with your stocking

Attachments

• Clockwise top Toapz Dandylion Rainbow Angelus .jpg
    Clockwise top Toapz Dandylion Rainbow Angelus .jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Sapphire female Acei in front Dandylion male elec Yellow Lab in back.jpg
    Sapphire female Acei in front Dandylion male elec Yellow Lab in back.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 87
  • Turq-Male Acei White Tail.jpg
    Turq-Male Acei White Tail.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 88
WendiDell said:
No, I got them at my not so local FS in Newberg. I live in a small town without a descent FS so I drive a bit to get better, healthier fish. Plus they try to stock fish that are a little bit different, not just the most common. They even carry about 15 different types of Plecos. Something for almost every size tank. The FS where I live carry 2, the Common Pleco and the standard BN Pleco.
I asked my FS where they get their stock and I was told that they buy from local breeders mostly and a few in Washington. I'm not sure where in Washington you are but I'm guessing Western Washington.
Since I'm in NW Oregon, you should be able to get most of the same type of fish. We aren't that far apart from each other, so I hope you can find some.
I wouldn't waste time with the big chain FS. They tend to carry only the most popular fish, not much in the way of unique. Plus they are less likely to special order a particular type of fish for you that they don't already carry.

These sites will give you some quick and useful information on White Tails.

Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"

Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

Here are a couple of photos I took this evening that show the beautiful blue I mentioned earlier. They aren't great pics. but they give you a little better idea of the White Tails color. You can also see what I meant by they make a nice contrast to the Electric Yellow Labs.
Lots of luck with your stocking

I live near Tacoma and was actually considering making a trek down to the Wet Spot in Portland for the rest of my stock. I found a local store that will order them for me - so I don't have to pay the high cost of shipping or lugging my fish on a 3 hr drive. Still going to the Wet Spot, it looks like they have a ton of fish! Of course, I will most likely end up coming back with more fish...

I live near Tacoma and was actually considering making a trek down to the Wet Spot in Portland for the rest of my stock. I found a local store that will order them for me - so I don't have to pay the high cost of shipping or lugging my fish on a 3 hr drive. Still going to the Wet Spot, it looks like they have a ton of fish! Of course, I will most likely end up coming back with more fish...
I've never been to The Wet Spot, but they have a good reputation. Even my FS recommended them to me for my fry. I have 29 Kenyi fry, with more on the way and 24 White labs. Which are to many for my little FS to sell, so they said The Wet Spot is a good place.

Back
Top Bottom