Stocking a 125 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samoyed789

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so I've read a lot of fish forums before, but never actually posted anything, so here goes!

So about a year ago I got a 125 gallon. It has two corner overflows and a sump tank underneath. Receives regular water changes once a week. The tank has been planted ever since it was established, and things have been pretty stable (I seeded it with filtration material from my old tank, never had a serious outbreak or anything, algae under control, etc.).

Anyways, I've had problems in the past with overstocking my tanks, so I want to run my ideas by anyone who will give feedback. I currently have two small angelfish, 5 denison barbs, and 4 turquoise rainbows (and yes, all are still juveniles). Ideally I would love to build up a school of rainbows and add a large school of cardinal tetras, but I'm also super concerned about overstocking. I know theoretically the tank can handle a lot because of the level of filtration and number of plants, but I want to make sure I have what's more comfortable for the fish.

In a perfect world my stocking list would be:
3-4 angels
5 denison barbs
4 turquoise rainbows
3-4 boesemani rainbows
4 neon dwarf rainbows
20 cardinal tetras
a small school of corydoras?

Some other fish I'm considering are german blue rams, honey gouramis, and platies.

Any feedback or suggestions would be super appreciated! Is the list too much? If so, what would you recommend getting rid of/changing.

I have experience keeping all of these fish, I just want to make sure I have the best setup for them!

Thanks!

That sounds reasonable. Just make sure you have sight breaks so if Angels pair up ( when they pair up) the less dominant fish can stay out of sight.

Just be aware the Denison's and Rainbows are all fast fish. You may have to target feed your Angels (?).

My Neon Tetras eat ok with my Denison's. But my slowest fish is my Farlowella and he just pushes in if he wants something.

Denison's like flow so maybe compromise and have one area of quieter water for the Angels ??

Cardinals are usually warmer water fish as are GBRs. So look out for temp compatibility as well.

My 55g is running at about 76-78f and Neons and Denison's and Sterbai Cories are happy.

IMG_1476856991.308168.jpg

Back
Top Bottom