stocking a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been trying to figure out what to put in my cycled 20 gallon.
I was thinking of Sparkling Gourami if I can find them. Pygmy cories and some ottos. Just can't decide on the numbers. Suggestions please and If anyone has drawbacks on this combo let me know.

Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1562
I've never seen any around here, what a beautiful fish! If they grow to 1 1/2" you could easily keep 2 or 3.
Pygmy cories are really cute, I used to have some and I liked them a lot. :D You could get at least 6 IMO, and 2 otos would probably be ok too. JMO, but I think a school of small tetras would look great with the fish you want, as long as you kept up on your water changes. Neons or glowlights will add a lot of color, and they stay pretty small. They like to be kept in groups of at least 6. :D
When you add your fish, make sure you stock slowly. This will give your bio filtration a chance to catch up.
BTW what kind of filtration do you have?

I agree with Severum mama, but I would put in 4 otos because they also like to school and be with their own species.

You could get 3 sparkling gourami, they are beautiful fish! I agree, about 6 pygmy cories, 3 otos and a school of tetra. For the tetra you could try black neon also. Is the tank planted? the gourami will benefit from lots of plants, fake or live and plants will bring out the colours of these fish.

Sparkling Gourami

Yes this is what I'm looking for. The tank is lightly planted with wisteria, watersprite and a lilly at the moment. The way wisteria and watersprite grow I'm figuring on having to thin regularly in a few months. I'll think about the tetras. I just can't find the gourami and my lfs isn't any help.

Well, if you can't find the sparkling gourami anywhere, you could order online. The shipping charges are a killer though! :roll: Are you sure there are no LFSs in Louisville that would special order for you? How about Lexington, or Cincinnati? If you could find the gouramis out of town, you could use a styrofoam cooler to keep the bags in while you are driving them home. Otherwise, you could get a dwarf flame gourami or something like that, they are really beautiful too. :D

I am with Severum Mama, too. I think it would be great if you can find some sparkling gouramis, and the setup sounds nice.

If you do decide to get a dwarf gourami instead, just get one - these are feisty little fish and I have had no luck keeping them together. I had one for years that was the boss of a 55gal with adult angels, so I never underestimate them, lol.

20 gallon tank

I have a Aqua Clear 20 gallon hang over the back. I do weekly 30% water changes. I vacum half the gravel every week. The PH is 6.0 I test regularly. I'm on a cistern and had to put a good size conch shell in to get it this high.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom