Stocking a 20gallon with a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArabellaArctic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!
I have a 20gallon with a male Betta, a young (1inch) bristle nose pleco, a African Dwarf Frog (1inch), & 4 ghost shrimp.
I also have some live plants & a few hides/terra cotta pots in there for everyone. & Everything is running smoothly. The Betta doesn't even acknowledge anyone.
I'd like to add 1 more ADF & maybe some more shrimp. What are my options as far as a few fish to add? I've seen tetras are compatible & I like the look of the neon tetras. What can I do here?

Hi i am new but also have a male Betta aquarium and my mine seems simular to yours at the moment he is ignoring everyone and seems peaceful. I also have a pleco and i have 17 neon tetras. My tank is slightly larger at 30 gallons but neons are a good choice from the research that i've have done and my Betta ignores them and they ignore him.

ADF like to be in pairs or threes from what i have researched, so you might wanna get at least one more.

Some advice that i was given from a friend on here was pygmy corys as they only grow to about 1 inch and like schools of about 6-8 and are bottom feeders.

Neons as you know need at least a school of 6 but more is always better just be careful of your stocking levels, remembering that your pleco will grow to about 5-6 inch.

ADF need to pop up to the surface for air so give them something to jump from like a rock when they are feeling tired.... i think that they are almost blind as i remember and more or less need to be hand fed maybe with large tweezers to make sure the Betta does not eat all their food but i am sure that you know this already.

Forgive me if there is any bad advice here, i am sure that other members will correct me etc.

I know that there are more expedience people on this site than me so i am sure that you will receive better advice.

I plan on getting at least 1 more ADF in a week or 2. I've been considering neon tetra as well. Thank you for your help.

Pygmy Corys or shrimp (Blue dream shrimp or crystal shrimp are my favorite) will be handy for cleaning the bottom of the tank.

A well established tank of about 3 months required before thinking about shrimp.

My neons are darting about the whole tank, pretty cool to watch.

Back
Top Bottom