Stocking a 36 Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luna09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello AA and thanks in advance for your advice !

I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront up and running. It is slowly being planted and I want to turn it into a community tank.

At the moment I am cycling it with feeder guppies and I plan on moving my school of 7 pristella tetras into it once it is fully cycled and planted. I am going to give the feeders to my turtle once the pristella are moved in.

I would like to know what you would suggest for stock? I know there are alot of fish I haven't heard of and am looking for new ideas. I have a couple ideas for what else to put in the tank but I am open to any suggestions so long as livebearers aren't involved!!

Any beginner plant ideas are also more than welcome !!

Attachments

• image-4152968620.jpg
    image-4152968620.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 79
Nice tank! What you could do is visit some local fish stores and see what they have in stock, make a list of what you like, then research them to find out if they would do well for your tank (ask here too, we can help). That way you're working with what's available to you. You have a lot of options for a tank that size.

It's a bit too much for me to go to the store without having a list as I don't have a car and that means inconveniencing someone twice. I am looking to find a solid list of stuff to try to get and a backup if they don't have them. The closest shop for fish to me is Big Al's in Ottawa but I in fact live 45 minutes outside of it in Merrickville which is a very small population 2,000 in the summer months and about 1,500 in the winter.

Luna09 said:
It's a bit too much for me to go to the store without having a list as I don't have a car and that means inconveniencing someone twice. I am looking to find a solid list of stuff to try to get and a backup if they don't have them. The closest shop for fish to me is Big Al's in Ottawa but I in fact live 45 minutes outside of it in Merrickville which is a very small population 2,000 in the summer months and about 1,500 in the winter.

You could just call them and see what they have. What are you interested in? Are you planning on keeping the guppies? If so why not research fish that would be compatible with them or your tetras. As librarygirl said, you have allot of options, find something that you like

Well, a couple things to consider for a community of that size are purple passion danios, furcata rainbows, orange laser cories, kuhli loaches, zebra loaches, pitbull plecos, bleeding heart tetras, pearl gourami, paradise fish, and keyhole cichlid.
There are literally hundreds of other common fish that are options too.
Is ordering online an option for you?

absolutangel04 said:
Well, a couple things to consider for a community of that size are purple passion danios, furcata rainbows, orange laser cories, kuhli loaches, zebra loaches, pitbull plecos, bleeding heart tetras, pearl gourami, paradise fish, and keyhole cichlid.
There are literally hundreds of other common fish that are options too.
Is ordering online an option for you?

I just looked up what you suggested and absolutely love the furcata rainbows and the passion danios. The laser cories are super cool!!! :) thank you so much. This is what I was looking for- you gave me a number of fish I've never seen before :)

Unfortunately I live in Canada and online fish buying is super limited. I haven't found a single site as of yet that I have been able to use. I am not against online ordering but it's a tough challenge here. I'm sure I could talk to a couple different stores to see if they can order anything in for me.

butterfly_koi said:
You could just call them and see what they have. What are you interested in? Are you planning on keeping the guppies? If so why not research fish that would be compatible with them or your tetras. As librarygirl said, you have allot of options, find something that you like

I'm getting rid of the guppies, they are just feeder hybrids that I'm using to cycle the tank- I'm not comfortable doing a fish less cycle as my schedule is all over the place with nursing. I've been trying to find what goes well with my pristella tetras but as it is, there is so much conflicting advice it's annoying. I'm not sure if what I am reading is true or not.

Well you have an insane amount of schooling fish options. Various tetras, rasboras, quiet a few danios. You could do gourami(I love flame and dwarf, very nice coloring and interesting to watch) or rams - VERY neat looking.

A stocking list suggestion

your tetras
7 rummy nose tetras
6 golden white cloud minnows
and a pair of smaller gourmi or the rams
perhaps a smaller bottom sweller. BN pleco maybe?? I'm not sure if you would have room for a shoal of corys or not with the above list but there are plenty size wise that could work in your tank with a nice size shoal.

tamtam said:
Well you have an insane amount of schooling fish options. Various tetras, rasboras, quiet a few danios. You could do gourami(I love flame and dwarf, very nice coloring and interesting to watch) or rams - VERY neat looking.

A stocking list suggestion

your tetras
7 rummy nose tetras
6 golden white cloud minnows
and a pair of smaller gourmi or the rams
perhaps a smaller bottom sweller. BN pleco maybe?? I'm not sure if you would have room for a shoal of corys or not with the above list but there are plenty size wise that could work in your tank with a nice size shoal.

I love rummy nose and rams :)

Oh there are too many choices !! Seriously way too many. I love gourami too :) my favorite fish I have is a little honey.

Attachments

• image-96188200.jpg
    image-96188200.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3365451343.jpg
    image-3365451343.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom