stocking advise for a tepid set-up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

I have thought about leaving the heater out and stocking with "cold" water, but I don't really want gold fish, tank isn't big enough anyway.

I have a 68L (17G?) And I don't know what cold water fish are really out their. I also like the idea of shrimp.

Any advise appreciated.

Sadly there are very few options for cold water fish that are easily available through most pet stores.

Other than goldfish the only ones I've seen in my area are minnows. White cloud mountain minnows or the golden white cloud. They are schooling fish but I think in a 17 gallon you could handle a nice school.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Feeder White Clouds, Tanichthys albonubes

I'm not really sure about shrimp in cold water though

I have kept Zebra Danios in an un-heated 10g for almost 3yrs.

Obviously now I know they ideally needed a 20g I now have them in a 50g community.

17g should be ok for a small school of 5 or 6 but not much else other than shrimps. I'm sure there are a lot of shrimps that can survive temps in the 60's so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think Amano's are good for a varied amount of temps.

Jon

Sadly there are very few options for cold water fish that are easily available through most pet stores.

Other than goldfish the only ones I've seen in my area are minnows. White cloud mountain minnows or the golden white cloud. They are schooling fish but I think in a 17 gallon you could handle a nice school.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Feeder White Clouds, Tanichthys albonubes

I'm not really sure about shrimp in cold water though

I have read in a couple of places (including the website you linked) that most shrimp (except singapore flower shrimp) are fine at 60. ph and hardness might be n issue though.

as far as fish, im strugling to find much info. i know some basic info about fish that will be fine with 60-64 ish temps. but as far as what i can get in a 17, and what live with each other, im strugling.

i'm also having a few issues with suitability with hardness and PH, i have very hard water.

Most fish will adapt to your water's PH and hardness, etc unless you're keeping super sensitive fish like Discus. As long as the fish are acclimated slowly they should be fine. The temperature is going to be the limiting factor though. Any particular reason you can't get a heater?

Most fish will adapt to your water's PH and hardness, etc unless you're keeping super sensitive fish like Discus. As long as the fish are acclimated slowly they should be fine. The temperature is going to be the limiting factor though. Any particular reason you can't get a heater?

not so much cant get, just exploring options.

I'm not at home as much as i would like right now due to work, so it's hard all round to maintain. but to have a heater running 24/7 at 25 when im only home a few days a month, its a cost i would like to avoid. having a heater at 20 it would very rarely kick in so would cost next to nothing, so i wouldnt feel so bad in leaving it.

the end of the day, if i can't find fish i actually like/want to keep in lower temps, i will probably keep things as they are. im having enough problems as it is with being away so much. I have neons dying of tb/ntd, and guppy/guppies with fin rot, all because i cant clean the water enough sometimes.

i suppose im trying to make things work because im away, already trying to find a solution for the water.

Back
Top Bottom