Stocking clarification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
As I have stated previously, I still have a long way to go before I get any fish. (still no water in tank)

With that said, in the meantime I am trying to strategize what I will eventually stock in my tank. My main emphasis is peaceful, yet colorful fish. This is a list of the types of fish I would like to stock. My initial research indicates all of these would do well with one another, but I want clarification. Plus does it matter if I have more than one species that are top, middle or bottom swimmers? Is that something I need to watch?

Ballon belly mollies
glofish
redwag platy
rainbow fish
fancy guppy plus many other types of guppies like turquoise, blonde tux delta guppy etc.
long fin red minor tetra
Dwarf Gourami

Also, I read up on the african dward frog. Those seem really neat. Said as long as they are fed frequently they would never bother the fish. I would get two of the frogs for their social benefit. Is this something that will be acceptable or are there negatives to them?

Again, the fish I list above are just examples of what I would like to stock. Like I am thinking maybe 5-7 fish from maybe three or four of those listed above. Or more if that is acceptable without causing compatibility or population issues. Any input in that regard would be appreciated.

I guess I should remind everyone. 60 gallon tank. 48' by 13' surface area.

As I have stated previously, I still have a long way to go before I get any fish. (still no water in tank)

With that said, in the meantime I am trying to strategize what I will eventually stock in my tank. My main emphasis is peaceful, yet colorful fish. This is a list of the types of fish I would like to stock. My initial research indicates all of these would do well with one another, but I want clarification. Plus does it matter if I have more than one species that are top, middle or bottom swimmers? Is that something I need to watch?

Ballon belly mollies
glofish
redwag platy
rainbow fish
fancy guppy plus many other types of guppies like turquoise, blonde tux delta guppy etc.
long fin red minor tetra
Dwarf Gourami

Also, I read up on the african dward frog. Those seem really neat. Said as long as they are fed frequently they would never bother the fish. I would get two of the frogs for their social benefit. Is this something that will be acceptable or are there negatives to them?

Again, the fish I list above are just examples of what I would like to stock. Like I am thinking maybe 5-7 fish from maybe three or four of those listed above. Or more if that is acceptable without causing compatibility or population issues. Any input in that regard would be appreciated.

How big is your tank? And you can have more than one species that is a has the same level of swimming as long as they get along very nicely....be sure you have the right amount of fish cuz some get aggressive if they aren't in the right amounts....
Those frogs can be hard to take care of sometimes but they are a really good option... Also if you are a starter I think you should look into harlequin rasboras also... They are very hardy and my favorite fish so far I love them!!!!!! Just my opinion you don't have too!

Also you want to make SURE you have those red minors in at least a group of six because they get aggressive when they aren't i got only three and they were the worst fish but not if you get six....

How big is your tank? And you can have more than one species that is a has the same level of swimming as long as they get along very nicely....be sure you have the right amount of fish cuz some get aggressive if they aren't in the right amounts....
Those frogs can be hard to take care of sometimes but they are a really good option... Also if you are a starter I think you should look into harlequin rasboras also... They are very hardy and my favorite fish so far I love them!!!!!! Just my opinion you don't have too!

My tank is a 60 gallon system. 48' x 13' surface area.

I plan to have at least 5-7 of each kind that I have so I will make sure it is at least 6 of each kind.

Also, you say the frogs can be tough to take care of sometimes. Do you know of any obstacles with them? I may not want to deal with them right now until I get more experience in general. What were you referring to in regards to them being difficult at times?

Fancy guppy is a label for all guppy strains like the ones you mentioned. All or almost all the guppies you see are fancy guppies. Feeders are the other category.
Unless you have an outlet for fry, get all males.
The ADFs are almost completely blind and need shallowish water so they can surface for air.

My tank is a 60 gallon system. 48' x 13' surface area.

I plan to have at least 5-7 of each kind that I have so I will make sure it is at least 6 of each kind.

Also, you say the frogs can be tough to take care of sometimes. Do you know of any obstacles with them? I may not want to deal with them right now until I get more experience in general. What were you referring to in regards to them being difficult at times?

Well these frogs you have to put there food towards them and make SURE they c it because they don't locate food by smell they locate it by seeing it. You basically have to put it in front of them.... Also you have to feed as much food to your frogs as they will eat in a hour or two and you can't over feed them or they will die.... They require a different type of food than regular fish.... I hope this helped and if you are a beginner I would put the frogs in a different tank if you want them now so they can eat properly.

Fancy guppy is a label for all guppy strains like the ones you mentioned. All or almost all the guppies you see are fancy guppies. Feeders are the other category.
Unless you have an outlet for fry, get all males.
The ADFs are almost completely blind and need shallowish water so they can surface for air.

Ok, can you elaborate on the outlet for fry/all males statement?

And thanks on the adf. I guess that means frogs are not for my tank. not the 60 gallon one anyway.

Ok, can you elaborate on the outlet for fry/all males statement?

And thanks on the adf. I guess that means frogs are not for my tank. not the 60 gallon one anyway.

If you get female guppies, platies, or mollies (basically any livebearers) with males, you will be overrun with fry. So what I meant is be sure you have a way to get rid of fry if you get females and males. If you don't want fry get all males.

If you get female guppies, platies, or mollies (basically any livebearers) with males, you will be overrun with fry. So what I meant is be sure you have a way to get rid of fry if you get females and males. If you don't want fry get all males.

wow, ok. so how does one determine the sex? Are the employees at petsmart given training for this? How can I be sure I am getting all one sex? What do others do when keeping these type of fish? What do you do about the "fry" potential/problem? both preventatively or otherwise.

Fry are baby fish and as long as you have males and females in the tank your going to get alot of baby fish (fry). If your local pet shops won't take them you can be over run with them over time.

In a 60g you have alot of choices. A Rainbowfish tank with some yo-yo loaches would be beautiful. There are so many different colored rainbow fish to choose from. My two favorites are Iranian Reds and Orange Albino Millinium Rainbowfish. Another good community would be 2-4 angelfish, 1 dwarf or honey gourami, a school of 12 cardinal tetras, another school of 12 rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras, and a group of 8 cory cats for bottom feeders. This too would give you a nice colorful and diverse community tank.

Fry are baby fish and as long as you have males and females in the tank your going to get alot of baby fish (fry). If your local pet shops won't take them you can be over run with them over time.

In a 60g you have alot of choices. A Rainbowfish tank with some yo-yo loaches would be beautiful. There are so many different colored rainbow fish to choose from. My two favorites are Iranian Reds and Orange Albino Millinium Rainbowfish. Another good community would be 2-4 angelfish, 1 dwarf or honey gourami, a school of 12 cardinal tetras, another school of 12 rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras, and a group of 8 cory cats for bottom feeders. This too would give you a nice colorful and diverse community tank.

So how does one prevent that from happening? I mean how do you know if you are getting all males? And if it happens, what are the options if you do have mixed sexes? When they birth why can't the fry be removed and given away or sold?

Anybody know how to determine the sex of fish???? Will the fish stores be able to tell? Petsmart??

Anybody know how to determine the sex of fish???? Will the fish stores be able to tell? Petsmart??

Maybe this will help you tell the difference in sexes... Sexing Livebearers. And yes pet store employees "should" be able to tell males from females but you don't always get informed employees. And yes you can sell or give fry away but you will get alot.

Back
Top Bottom