Stocking for a Ten Gallon Heavily Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unstopaBULLFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So when I do get get my ten gallon heavily planted up and running in a long time (Near Christmas) I want to stock some cool fish.here is what I have so far(General Idea)

3 Otos
4 Scarlet badis (Dario Dario)
Some variety of shrimp (NOT RCS) Maybe Orange Sakura? My friend gets wholesale price for me for them)

I am open to most ideas but I can tell you I will not be doing
:Any type of dwarf cichlids
:Dwarf Puffer
: Corys
: tetras

I do not have anything against those fish just want to try something new!

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

The Octos will get too large for a ten and at some point may get a tad aggressive as they age. The badis badis are a good choice and with the plants should not cause the shrimp too much grief as long as you aquascape in territories. You could also add some Least Killies-regular or gold form. The stay topside and are lazy as far as feeding. They will not pressure the badis badis during feeding. They should also provide a bit of live food at a pace the badis badis can keep up with in the form of fry. I don't think the LKs would challenge a breeding pair of badis badis so you should be good.

As much as some hate it, I use LKs as mini-live food producers in some of my tanks. This keeps breeders whether livebearers or some form of tetra well conditioned for spawing and unless there is no aquascaping a few fry always live to keep the line going.

The Octos will get too large for a ten and at some point may get a tad aggressive as they age. The badis badis are a good choice and with the plants should not cause the shrimp too much grief as long as you aquascape in territories. You could also add some Least Killies-regular or gold form. The stay topside and are lazy as far as feeding. They will not pressure the badis badis during feeding. They should also provide a bit of live food at a pace the badis badis can keep up with in the form of fry. I don't think the LKs would challenge a breeding pair of badis badis so you should be good.

As much as some hate it, I use LKs as mini-live food producers in some of my tanks. This keeps breeders whether livebearers or some form of tetra well conditioned for spawing and unless there is no aquascaping a few fry always live to keep the line going.

Otocinclus being aggressive? When did this start happening?

Quite possibly the most peaceful fish I've ever owned. You may be thinking of a Chinese algae eater? Similar body shape but aggressive and gets much larger.

Otos are fine in a 10g but I wouldn't add them till the tank has been running a few months as they eat biofilm and stuff in the tank that isn't present in the beginning.

Caleb

Otocinclus being aggressive? When did this start happening?

Quite possibly the most peaceful fish I've ever owned. You may be thinking of a Chinese algae eater? Similar body shape but aggressive and gets much larger.

Otos are fine in a 10g but I wouldn't add them till the tank has been running a few months as they eat biofilm and stuff in the tank that isn't present in the beginning.

Otos are very peaceful, they're actually the only fish recommended as being completely shrimp safe.

Any of the Neo color varieties would be find, all have the same care requirements.

How about a trio of sparkling gouramis?

Otos are very peaceful, they're actually the only fish recommended as being completely shrimp safe.

Any of the Neo color varieties would be find, all have the same care requirements.

How about a trio of sparkling gouramis?

A few Otos, neo shrimp, and a trio of sparklers would be a nice stock list

How about a school of celestial pearl danios

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not really worried about cycling since I will be using and redoing this ten I already have just will be doing a lot of changes too it. Tank has been cycled and running since last year so it's well established and already has an Oto in it! Quite a fat happy Oto. Only thing he's aggressive forks algae he eats that stuff up! I don't really like sparkling Gouramis. A school of CPD is a possible option. Has anyone ever had empire gudgeons? My friend got a pair and said I could had them but if they grow up to 4 inches I'm not sure...

I'm not really worried about cycling since I will be using and redoing this ten I already have just will be doing a lot of changes too it. Tank has been cycled and running since last year so it's well established and already has an Oto in it! Quite a fat happy Oto. Only thing he's aggressive forks algae he eats that stuff up! I don't really like sparkling Gouramis. A school of CPD is a possible option. Has anyone ever had empire gudgeons? My friend got a pair and said I could had them but if they grow up to 4 inches I'm not sure...
If you're still planning shrimp the gudgeons will definitely eat them, even adults.

True... And I definitely want shrimp.. I particularly like rili shrimp and bee shrimp and snowball and the blue varieties. Don't want a expensive variety of shrimp though. How does 2-3 Otos, 10 neo. Shrimp( To start a colony), 5 CPD and 3 scarlet badis sound?

The Octos will get too large for a ten and at some point may get a tad aggressive as they age. The badis badis are a good choice and with the plants should not cause the shrimp too much grief as long as you aquascape in territories. They will not pressure the badis badis during feeding. They should also provide a bit of live food at a pace the badis badis can keep up with in the form of fry. I don't think the LKs would challenge a breeding pair of badis badis so you should be good.

*edited*

Otos are awesome and peaceful.

To clear up your confusion, Scarlet Badis and Badis Badis are two different species. Badis Badis are "Chameleon fish"
and get larger. http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+1074&pcatid=1074

Scarlet Badis are Dario dario they only grow to 1" and are no threat to adult or juvie shrimp...just hatchlings
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2823&pcatid=2823

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a nice list!

Personally I'd start with the CPDs then add the shrimp. Once the colony starts to grow add the badis and the otos last.

Badis can be tricky to feed and very often won't accept anything but live foods. If you're going for a trio make sure it's 1M/2F, although in a 10g territories shouldn't be an issue for their size. They're fun though, lots of personality in a small fish!

img_3299921_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom