stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azure bones

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have a 15 gallon aquarium that has some live plants and currently 6 neon tetras and 4 ghost shrimp but they all can have other arrangements made what I'm looking for is some pretty medium sized fish that I could keep with some schooling fish ex the tetras I already got I've been looking at some dwarf chichlids like the cokatoo and German rams anys help on what would work nice

Most cichlids are aggressive and would most likely injury your community fish or stress them to death. If I were you I'd get a few more tetras and maybe 1 other fish... the setup you will most likely overstock your tank.

You'd be hard pressed to find cichlids that will work well in a 15g. Shell dwellers might work, but I don't think they'd do well with your neons.

Consider a betta.

BigJim said:
You'd be hard pressed to find cichlids that will work well in a 15g. Shell dwellers might work, but I don't think they'd do well with your neons.

Consider a betta.

Had one not my thing really the cichlids I was looking at were dwarfs that only got 3"-4"

I think I've finally decided on guppies any idea on hoe many I should keep I've got 6 neon tetras, 4 ghost shrimp, and a zebra snail in 15 gallon

Well, with guppies it is always better to keep more females than males. Many recommend a 2:1 ratio at minimum to keep the males from overly harassing the females. Unlike your tetra which are egg layers, guppies are livebearers, so beware. I wouldn't add very many to your tank. Chances are your tetra and possibly even the adult guppies will eat some of the fry, but if there is any sort of hiding places in your tank some may survive and guppies can breed quite often.

I have to admit that that male guppies are good looking and I can see why people like them (not for me though). The females are dull and without them males tend to die alot quicker in my opinion and although the first spawn is very exciting I soon considered them to be more of a pest. I'd stay with the neons and then get another school of 6 tetras and leave it at that in this size tank. Don't mean to be a kill joy, just giving some previous experience and wouldn't have another live bearer in my tank even if it was given to me. By the way the suggestion of a dwarf gourami is also another road to consider

Back
Top Bottom