Stocking idea please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sa1nt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be setting up my 75g tank very soon, it's 4ft with sand substrate. I'm new to cichlids but have been keeping community fish and Oscar (on its own) for a while. I'm really looking forward to this new 'venture'.

I was thinking of an all male peacock tank maybe with a trio of yellow labs. Do you think they are compatible? I'm looking for a colorful tank hence the peacock but also like breed. I heard peacock hybrid is not good hence the all male tank.

I really appreciate your view and any other stocking suggestion.

Thanks people.

All male is a bad idea, your gonna end up with dead fish. Try to keep 1m to 3-4fm, 5-6 fm being ideal. I would also recommend either peacocks or labs/mbuna. Given the tank size I would say mbuna as peacocks cross breed easier and they are dimorphic (females are plain and not colorful) mbuna tend to have more colorful females. I will let someone chime in on compatible mbuna as I'm no expert.

Oh thats too bad!

I read on some websites that all male peacock are ok as long as u get one of each species. Is that true?

What would be a good mbuna stock list?

Dominance issues will still be present, it's like simulating a sausage fest. If you add females you direct the aggression in a natural means. The males will be trying to seduce thier females .

So it'd be best to keep 1m/2-3f ratio? What about cross breeding? Would that be a problem since most female peacock look alike?

Back
Top Bottom