Stocking ideas for 3 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreek

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I'm setting up (another) 3 gallon tank in my office, And I was wondering what you all recommend for that size aquarium, and doesn't need a heater. Thanks.

I have no idea of anything that will fit your requirements. I personally think that that is too small for a betta, but even if it wasn't, bettas need heaters. The only other things I can thing of are shrimp, which also need heaters. Oh, and also snails. But I think that all of them need heaters too. Look into cold water snails/shrimp/nano fish. Good luck! [emoji229]

Oh ok. I'll probably buy a good heater and just get a female betta. the tank is actually cycling right now, so i'm not in a rush.

While 3 gallons is much better than a cup, it is rather small for a Betta.

Perhaps some nano fish?

While 3 gallons is much better than a cup, it is rather small for a Betta.

Perhaps some nano fish?

I agree about the betta. Some nano fish would be good, but with all of these suggestions come a heater, so it's good that he gets one.

OP, like we said, it's best that you don't get a betta. What about having some nice colorful nano fish, and then maybe a big colony of RCS and then maybe one or two small snails! Just some suggestions. Keep us updated!

I think the following are good options (at room temp but not lower):
Chili rasbora
Spotted rasbora
Micro rasbora
Blue neon rasbora
Scarlet badis
Endlers

Thank you everyone! I just returned the 3 gallon to the store, and I got a 5 gallon instead. After the tank is cycled i'm planning on getting a male Betta (with a heater) and LOTS of plants for the lil guy.

Keep us updated! How close are you to being cycled? Post pics of your scape and whenever you get your betta! Welcome to the betta community! I think you'll like it here.

..Quick update....the 5 gallon didn't go so well. :( Long story short, it was fully cycled, and the filter pump just said "Hey! I'm gonna break for no reason!!!" and I had to take it back to the store. sigh.

I ended up just getting a divider for my 10 gallon that I already have my other betta in, and putting the new boy in there with him, and they seem to be doing really good!

I also got some plants from a lfs. 2 anubias, and 4 moss balls.

Overall, the 5 gallon was a big waste of time :( but hopefully the 10 gallon works out alright.

I'll update you all on the 11th, and I'll post a pic of the new betta! *hopefully* :)

Woo! I finally got everything set up.

Meet Ezekiel, My new betta! The Lfs told me hes probably an older fish. hes been showing signs of an old betta, sitting in the plants, and doesn't have as much color as the younger betta, but hes still adorable.

Although, when I say "He" i'm just guessing. 'he' has shorter fins like a female, but has the color of a male? You guys can tell me what you think.

Also, does the tank look to "stuffed" with decorations?

Attachments

• 10 Gallon Betta Tank.jpg
    10 Gallon Betta Tank.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Ezekiel.jpg
    Ezekiel.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 127
Hello!
First, I understand that this thread is old but I think someone could read it again for suggestions.
Sorry about that filter pump! If you are still interested in that 5-gallon, you can do shrimp, bettas, guppies, small tetras, or some ADFs.
These are only a few suggestions. You could add some substrate and live plants for a gorgeous tank. Here are a few stocking schemes that may do well.
10 x Cherry Shrimp
1 x Betta
1-2 x Guppy (with caution)
2-3 x ADF

Back
Top Bottom