Stocking Ideas for 38 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisross

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 38 gallon tank, but I'm not entirely sure how I want to stock it. I have another established tank (13 gallons), and I used the filter media from that while cycling my new tank. The new tank is a planted tank with black sand as the substrate and both an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and a QuietFlow 10 as my filtration. The tank is kept at 78 degrees, and I would like to have a peaceful community tank with a bright centerpiece fish. Any suggestions are welcome!

That would be a nice size for a good mid-level schooling fish. Glowlight tetras, bloodfins, and rummynoses all come to mind. As for a centerpiece, maybe one attractive angelfish? (Though it *might* try to make a snack of the glowlights. The others should be safe.) A shoal of 7-11 (depending on size) cory cats would give you your bottom dwellers. (y)

Does the tank have plants?

I was actually more thinking a Gourami as a centerpiece. Maybe two pearl gourami. The tank does have plants in it right now. I have a few Anubias tied to decorations and several water wisteria in the back of the tank

I was actually more thinking a Gourami as a centerpiece. Maybe two pearl gourami. The tank does have plants in it right now. I have a few Anubias tied to decorations and several water wisteria in the back of the tank

I think a gourami or a pair of gouramis (male and female or two females), would make a lovely center piece. I am a lover of gouramis, so I am a *little* biased.

A school of harlequins rasboras, a large school of a tetra species like neons, a pair or single pearl gourami, and a school of corydoras catfish would make for a lovely tank I feel :)

Just want to thank everyone for the responses so far. Right now I'm thinking two pearl Gourami. A school of about 8 Harlequin Rasbora, a school of 8 Cory cats and possibly another school of some sort. Possibly some neons but I'm not sure on it

Cherry Barbs are a possible option. Red/Black Phantom Tetras, Bentos Tetras, and Lemon Tetras are also great options. Another option, instead of the Pearl Gourami, could be a group of Honey Gourami. You could have 3 in that tank. They are probably the most peaceful gourami.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have been considering the cherry barbs as another school. Maybe 8 of those as well? Honey Gourami are definitely an interesting option, but I feel their coloring isn't as distinguished as the pearls or dwarf gourami

Back
Top Bottom