Stocking Ideas? What should I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello :)

I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 male Guppies, 6 Neon Tetras, and 4 Julii Cories. I have cycled my tank and added only 2-3 fish per week. (Except for the Tetras)
About 2-3 weeks ago, I added the 6 Neons. I figured it would be fine considering the tank had been up and running for a while. It was.
Now that it's been a few weeks, I would like to add a couple more small fish. The tank just looks so empty.

I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 more Neons to beef up the school a bit. Also, I would really really love to add a male Dwarf Gourami, because they're so pretty, relatively small, and a great center piece fish. However, I'm still contemplating the possibilities of aggression and disease.

My second idea was to add 3 male Platies. I'm not so sure of this as I have heard male Guppies and Platies might fight in a tank with no females. (I do NOT want breeding).

SO- any other suggestions? Other than Dwarf Gouramis, Platies, or more Neons?
I have plenty of swimming space in my tank. I have good filtration, I do regular water changes, etc. I know my tank is almost fully stocked, but I still have room for a few small fish to complete it. I won't be adding them for another week, as this weekend is just too hectic to head out to the store. SO, suggestions please? Thanks!

P.S- I was given the suggestion of Otos. I would love to have one or two, but I know that they need to be in groups of at least five, which I don't want. I have also been suggested dwarf Cichlids, such as Rams, but I definitely don't want Cichlids.
Sorry if I'm being picky, but I am stocking my tank carefully, just how I want it. I guess adding a few more Guppies and Neons would be a good idea too, but I just want to add a difference species to my tank.

Thanks again!

I would like to know more about dwarf gouramis as well. As far as I know and from what ive read they are very docile. I don't know if they are fine by their own and stuff like that. And I'm just like you I don't want breeding either :p

How about a dwarf Gourami!?I use to have one when I kept freshwater,very hardy,and easy to care for.

Question for you then: Is it possible to keep a dwarf gourami by itself?

Ok guys, please start a new forum if you'd like to discuss Gourami care. Please do not post on this forum unless you're going to help answer my question.
It's just a bit of consideration when keeping a forum neat and on topic.

I did give you information that you asked for. I told you that they are docile from what I have read. I've also read that they would even be bullied to death before they fight back. And no one responds on my threads, so sorry :)

What about mollies? I like Lyretail mollies. Guppies are great, but I had 4 of them and one of them killed another one. So now I'm down to two.

Other suggestions? I actually cannot think of anything else right now other than mollies.

I did give you information that you asked for. I told you that they are docile from what I have read. I've also read that they would even be bullied to death before they fight back. And no one responds on my threads, so sorry :)

What about mollies? I like Lyretail mollies. Guppies are great, but I had 4 of them and one of them killed another one. So now I'm down to two.

Other suggestions? I actually cannot think of anything else right now other than mollies.

Yes, I understand that you told me that much. But then you started going off and asking others about your questions and I wanted to stop it before it got a bit messy. I like keeping threads neat and on topic. So I'm sorry if I seem rude or selfish but anyways Mollies sometimes prefer brackish water so they would not really be a good choice for my freshwater setup.
Right now (since I can't think of anything else) it's between DGs and Platies. If anyone would like to add their thoughts on that, please do.

I have two mollies who are perfectly fine in my 100% freshwater tank and I started off with them.

I like that idea of the dwarf
You could put some herquilian rosboras?

And i like the way you stopped the other conversation i admire that well dont (thumbs up)

The "other conversation" was relevant to what you were asking and I was trying to get you and I more information. Not only that it seems that no one wanted to help me for the past 5 days and no one was responding to my threads. I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed off too if no one was trying to help you.

I like the idea of the Dwarf Gourami too. It's a bit risky, and I don't like risking things when it comes to pets, but I'll think about it. Anyone who can speak from experience would be great!
Oh and also I like the idea of Harlequins too, but I don't have enough room for a whole other school of fish, and since the harleys are schooling, theyre out of the question. I can only add a few more. As in 1 DG or 2-3 Platies.

Back
Top Bottom