Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recycle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone –
I want to add more fish. I currently have 6 Serpae Tetras and 3 Rummy Nose Tetras in a 16 gallon bow front tank. The Serpaes are fin nippers, so with that in mind what do you think might work best?
By the way, the Rummy Nose Tetras are about the coolest fish. With their bright red noses and the fact that they hold their own with the Serpaes – to the point that the Serpaes don't even bother with them anymore.
I'd really like to add one or two larger fish if possible – any thoughts?

Unfortunately, your tank's footprint doesn't lend itself well to any "larger" fish IMO. You could add 3-4 more rummies though (I'm a big fan of them too).

Welcome to AA! :)

Ok, maybe not large fish – I didn't think I had enough room. What about 3-4 fish from another species that would work with the Serpae Tetras. Any thoughts?

I'd really like to add one or two larger fish if possible – any thoughts?

As I got a second-hand tank that had one lonely rummy nosed tetra in it (amongst other fish), I've read up a lot about them. All my readings say that they do best in groups of 6 or more, so I'd add 3 more of them to your tank, provided it has space to do so.

If you don't use the AQ advisor website already, you can check out your stocking levels there.

-M

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the website AqAdvisor - what a great tool!
Yes, I was thinking about adding a few more rummynose tetras for that vary reason, plus I really like them too.

Thanks for sharing the website AqAdvisor - what a great tool!
Yes, I was thinking about adding a few more rummynose tetras for that vary reason, plus I really like them too.

It is a great tool to get a basic idea but some of their info is not correct. Reasearch on your own before you make a final decision.

It is a great tool to get a basic idea but some of their info is not correct. Reasearch on your own before you make a final decision.

+1. Don't take AQ Advisor literally. Also look around at many different sites if you research on the internet, to make sure you aren't getting false info. What I do is make sure the info matches up, then I usually come on here and start a billion threads about something I am interested in ;)

Back
Top Bottom