Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to convert my 140 gallon tank to FOWLR. I was going a to have a variety of species but decided on tangs and/or butterfly's in it. Any suggestions on which ones and how many?

If it was me, I would get a Meyer's butterfly, emperor angel, and blue hippo or powder Blue tang. :)

I would like to have a Meyers butterfly but I read that their main food is coral polyps. Is this true?

I would be careful with the blue and powder blue tang, they are kinda hard on new tanks ( talking with a few loses ) i bought a blue tang, and a powder blue on different stages of my 7 month old tank, around the 5th and 6th month. I believed the tank was starting to be pretty stable, but it was not, on both times they never started eating and eventually died, eventhough my other livestock has been in there with no problems ( yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, 2 black misbar ocellaris)

Here's a pic of my tank

Attachments

• image-3655385820.jpg
    image-3655385820.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 96
Either way, i would add, the same as i did :) , a yellow tang, a couple of clownfish, cleaner shrimp, and maybe a royal gramma. Since you'll be going FOWLR, you could add a racoon butterfly ( wich i think is beautiful) and a flame angelfish, that one adds a lot of color!

I have a sailfin tang that I am going to move to the bigger tank. Thanks for the ideas. Will post after I get it set up.

I would stay clear of butterfly fish and dwarf angels. The are prone to ich and are hard to feed.

Ibrahim said:
I would stay clear of butterfly fish and dwarf angels. The are prone to ich and are hard to feed.

My half black angel is a pig, never got ich and ate from the first day I had him. He's always the first one to be out there to eat. Lol :)

How could you not have a Naso Tang. Coolest fish ever. I'd get a trigger in there too if you're not doing coral. The Humu Humu is really neat.

Please keep in mind in the big scheme of things that 140g is not a huge tank so you do have limits. I only have 3 tangs in my 6 foot tank and thats plenty. :) The butterfly fish can be difficult to feed as mentioned. I had no luck with my first one but the second one I got is fine, but he was raised by hand feeding so he is a bit special. lol

Beengirl said:
My half black angel is a pig, never got ich and ate from the first day I had him. He's always the first one to be out there to eat. Lol :)

I never said it wasn't possible; there are always a few lucky people who are successful :)

Back
Top Bottom