Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Typically I am quick to give tank stocking ideas but this time wanted to give everyone else a turn to make suggestions to me. Here are my parameters:

First it will be a 55gal with an underground gravel filter, 125gal pond sponge-hidden- and likely some sort of small canister. Any ideas on the canister would be helpful. I typically use biological filtering and over kill by 300%-400%.

As for fish, I want to stock to the different water levels top, mid, bottom. I'm typically Mr. Livebearer, don't mind a few here, but in need of a change. I am typically Mr. Oddball, so feel free to express yourself.

Bottom:

Substrate will be small gravel a few clay watering saucers filled with sand, flat garden stones made ito structures and two nice chuncks of driftwood. Likely have java moss and maybe some hornwart down there as well.

I'm thinking I may want a few Kuhli Loaches say 6-8 and at least one school of corys-not plain Janes-say 6-8. I'd also like to toss in some crustations, like cherry shrimp. So, you can use the above or start from scratch.

Mid-Water:

I typically would say Penguin Tetras and Cherry Barbs or the like. I was thinking maybe a school of 8-10 Glow Lites but want another smaller non-fin nipping tetra. I'd also like at least one type of barb. My old stand byes are Rosys and Cherrys, but maybe that needs to change. I know where to get some totally awsome Odessa Barbs, but I'm not dead set on any of the above. I just want action and color in the middle and NO Cardianls or Neons. I'd also be interested in the more hardy types of Rasboras or Celestrial Danios.

Top Level:

OK, need some real help here. Could go with several female bettas-I know top to middle. I am thinking about a paridise fish, but scratch the works due to aggression. If I do any gouramis, I want pigmys-Sparkling, Croaking like that. I will be adding a few Least Killies and at least 3-4 female Endlers to form a never ending food supply for the troops. I do like most of the Top Minnow type fish, but most are either cooler water or aggressive. Got something in mind let me know. I do intend to have plant cover, water sprite or frogbit.

So that is it, I'll be waiting to hear what folks say. Unusual is the theme.:blink:

I'm pretty sure that any baby shrimp would be eaten by the corydoras. Gold barbs are great peaceful barbs. A group of hatchetfish would look like a flock of birds at the surface.

You could get an African butterfly fish for the top.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Top dwellers

Some of my favorite top-dweller's are Hatchetfish. The most common varieties are silver and marbled, they are very interesting looking fish. I'll try to include a pic.
silver-hatchetfish

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom