Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccp2007

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a 29 with LED, filter, heater and some other minor things from Petco for $64.99! I thought it was a get deal! So, question is, what do I want to put in it long term? I'm thinking friendly...ideas?

I am not a fan of platys, mollies, guppy and so on.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If youre looking for a new experiment, consider more brackish, bumblebee goby?
I like stranger fish shapes too, so i often lean towards loach types. They actually love socialization. Building a tank around loaches might be kind of cool. They coul prob even live with a dwarf cichlid of some sort. Ok, taliking too much.:lol:

Been awhile since I had them but u should look into an African butterfly fish

An African butterfly fish could work alone and with a lid on the tank. Some of the smaller rainbow fish species like furcatas, Gertrudae, or thread fins would look nice.

I just bought a 29 with LED, filter, heater and some other minor things from Petco for $64.99! I thought it was a get deal! So, question is, what do I want to put in it long term? I'm thinking friendly...ideas?

I am not a fan of platys, mollies, guppy and so on.

Just an idea of what you could do:

1-2 schools of mid/top dwellers
1 group of corydoras on the bottom
1-2 "centerpiece" fish
~invertebrates (snails, shrimp)

I'd research the following basic fish and see if your local LFSs carry them:

Tetras: Neon, Cardinal, Glowlight, Rummynose, Diamond, Lemon, etc
Barbs: Cherry, Checker, Pentazona
Other misc. schoolers: Furcata rainbows, Threadfin rainbows, Harlequin rasboras, Zebra danios, Beckford pencilfish
"Centerpiece" fish: German blue rams, Bolivian rams, Apistogramma (good starter types are cacatuoides and borellii, Dwarf/Honey/or Pearl gourami, possibly an angelfish

Hope this gets you started and let us know if you have more questions! (y)

I like all those ideas. I like the African dwarf frog too and inverts. I love clown loaches but know they'll eventually b too big for a 29

Yep, i have kuhlis. You could prob guess that. Ivehad rams with them actually, no probs. zebra loaches are good too though, pretty small.

Also i just saw the african dwarf frog idea. I wouldnt reccomend them being kept in a taller tank. They have to go up to the surface to get air quite a bit. Ive kept them before in a 5.5 gallon. Also they are pretty hard to feed and messy too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My Mom had a few dwarf frogs when I was a kid. I don't really remember the care for them. I just rambled that off basically sayin that I'm down to try out other things besides fish :)

Im currently. Restoring a leaky 29 as an invert tank. Multi colored crays and lobster are another good sized pet for that tank.

I am liking the invert tank and blue ram tank ideas...now to decide which one lol

I just got some rainbow fish and there really cool, somepeople say they need a 55-75 gallon tank as they can get over 5" I guess, but they seem to be fine in my 29? I am planning on getting a larger tank very soon tho.

Both sounds good too puckhog...I'm going on vacation Thursday. When we return I'll be starting on it. I have to finish building a stand for it. I have the frame done

African dwarf frogs can only live in tanks that are under a foot tall. But corydoras are a must. Maybe a smaller pleco too.

Without fish, what would be the point in life?

Back
Top Bottom