Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDuMoulin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am new to the forum and was wondering what large freshwater fish I could stock. I've currently got 6 rummy nose, 6 neon tetras, 4 assorted dwarf goramis and I'm wanting something 6 inches or larger. I've looked into discus and I'm not able to do the constant water changes anything out there comparable?

Mike

Sorry of course the important part I left out, my appologies. Its 48 long by 18 high by 14 inches wide. It was custom built, I'd imagine 55 or so gallons.

Mike

Some type of wet pet CA/SA cichlid would be cool. A nice long planted tank with Angels would also be cool

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

There's a term I keep seeing, don't understand lol wet pet! What does that mean?

A cool decent sized fish that looks nice and is interactive is my definition of a wet pet. Kind of
Like a dog of the fish world in a sense

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Thanks a lot guys, I have to unfortunately go out of town for fish, so I have to phone ahead. Any ideas as to species?

Your neon tetras limit you on big fish. When some larger fish are adults, they may eat them. Although, many people have kept large fish with them before.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Get some Angels! I love mine, lots of personality and they're beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would be careful with neons and big fish. I once thought I could add some neons to a big tank that had a blood parrot that wasn't full grown (about 4 inches) and in less than 5 seconds he took chase and swallowed a neon whole. I frantically fished out the remaining neons. My brother in law keeps severums, and while they are usually more peaceful, they can get very big and will likely swallow neons. Angelfish might be a good choice.

I would be careful with neons and big fish. I once thought I could add some neons to a big tank that had a blood parrot that wasn't full grown (about 4 inches) and in less than 5 seconds he took chase and swallowed a neon whole. I frantically fished out the remaining neons. My brother in law keeps severums, and while they are usually more peaceful, they can get very big and will likely swallow neons. Angelfish might be a good choice.

Blood parrots are hybrids of Midas... Mines a bully and it's with other cichlids. I'd be surprised if it wasn't bullying them.

Caleb

Get a school of angelicus loaches! They get around 6 inches long and you can get a bunch of them. They shouldn't bother your neons!

Get some geophagus redheads. They grow up to 6 inches and they can be kept with plants! don't get angels. From my experience they nip plants in trying to find a spawning site.

My angel tore through 10 neon tetras in a matter of hours. After he grew up with them! I wouldn't have believed it was him but for the fact he was still sucking on the last one when I came home.

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to add Angels with Neons. Sometimes you're fine if you add the Angels while they're itty bitty babies and let them grow up with them, but it's always hit or miss. Neons are the natural prey of Angels in the wild, so the more wild blood the Angel has the more likely it is to try munching them.

Severums are usually docile enough that you could give them a shot, or a Krib (avoid getting a pair unless you want an army of babies). Some sort of bottom dwellers would help balance the tank, so take a look at the medium to small sized loaches (AKA no clowns or dojos) or geophagus and see if any catch your eye. You have enough space that either a red tail or rainbow shark may work (depending on the shark's personality), but that would have to be your only bottom dweller. I don't try mixing sharks with bottom dwellers in tanks smaller than 75g.

Back
Top Bottom