Stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twiggins97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! I just bought a 36 gallon bowfront tank and I’m looking for stocking suggestions. I’m currently cycling the tank and currently have no fish. I have gravel substrate and a heater set at 78 degrees. I’m looking for a community, tropical tank.
For my “eye catchers” I was looking at either a Gourami or a Angelfish.
For my bottom dweller I really want a rainbow shark but I’m worried about the space and their aggressiveness. Maybe a Bristlenose pleco instead?
Any advice or suggestions or even what you have in your current tanks would be great! Thanks guys!

Well, there are a lot of possibilities. I like tetras because of their colors and schooling. I advise against "eye catchers" if you mean centerpiece fish - one of a kind. Fish are much happier in schools or shoals and to isolate one fish from its species is, maybe not cruel, but certainly not good for the fish. You can get a small school of gouramis or a few angelfish, but not one single one, please.

So would a pair of gouramis with school fish, such as Tetras or guppies, and then some corys and a bristle nose work better? I keep reading that it’s not a good idea to keep two angelfish with schools because when they mature and pair they get aggressive.

Your idea is good. But about angels. Yes, they are a bit aggressive if they pair up, but they only chase fish away from their eggs, they don't go beating up on fish all around the tank, in my experience. It's a minor problem. But gouramis are generally peaceful.

Unless the fish are small enough to eat...then you might have a problem. Any tetra about the size of or bigger than a black neon tetra would work. Schools of 6 are the minimum for tetras for good schooling behavior.
Yes a bristlenose pleco or a school of corydoras would work.
Just remember to add fish slowly.

Back
Top Bottom