stocking in a planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to add a few more of a couple of my schooling species to make them more comfortable and increase the nitrates for my plants but wanted to get an idea of if people thought I should stop where I am. Until recently I haven't much had to worry about the stocking level of my tank, it was always really low. But I received a 'donation' of a school of Neons that were beating up a friends Beta in her 10G then added a siamese algae eater and dwarf gourami so now I think I'm running closer to fully stocked these days.

I have a 29 Gallon that's been running for about 4 years now. It's a bit over-filtered with the AC70 but with the flow rate on low, the fish seem to like the current. It has low/medium light and It's moderately planted with a large variety of low/medium light plants. I use excel and fertilize lightly with K sulphate, micros and occasionally seachem Phosphorous (my tap water has 0 phosphates and even with fish the test reads at almost 0.) With my water change schedule my nitrates hover at 5-10.

I don't dose any nitrates so I do count on my fish to produce enough of them for the plants currently. The plants don't grow super fast under these conditions but are certainly growing and I see almost no algae.

It is currently stocked as follows:
4 m guppy/endler cross
1 m Dwarf Gourami
8 Harlequin Rasbora
8 neon tetra
4 Otocinclus
1 siamese algae eater
a few amanos/ nerite snails

The neons have been in the tank for a few months now and they are usually hiding in the plants, so I was wondering if adding a few more to that school might make them feel more comfortable.

The harlequins I'd love to have a slightly bigger school simply because they're adorable and have great personalities and I think I might be in love with them :p And people always say that with schooling fish the bigger the school the more comfortable/natural their behavior. So if I do have room, I'd love to fill out the school a bit.

Normally I'd think because my nitrates stay so low that would indicate that I still have some wiggle room, but with the tank being planted I don't know how much that applies.

Sorry for the long post but I figured more information was better and you can always skim :p

Plants do help stocking levels. You have a lot of algae eating fish. Watch the SAE to make sure he doesn't push Otos around. Could he be intimidating the Neons ? Are you feeding them ?
I use Repashy gel food and Zucchini.

You can hit 20ppm Nitrates and still be safe for fish AFAIK.

IMHO you could probably increase you Harlequin group to 10-12 without overly impacting your tank. As you are sticking with smaller fish, it's easier to stock a few more without crashing your tank as long as your test numbers stay in the safe range.

My timid fish come out more when I have
a dark background
Floating plants
Plenty of cover to dive into

I need to add a background to my 55g so my fish show up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Plants do help stocking levels. You have a lot of algae eating fish. Watch the SAE to make sure he doesn't push Otos around. Could he be intimidating the Neons ? Are you feeding them ?
I use Repashy gel food and Zucchini.

You can hit 20ppm Nitrates and still be safe for fish AFAIK.

IMHO you could probably increase you Harlequin group to 10-12 without overly impacting your tank. As you are sticking with smaller fish, it's easier to stock a few more without crashing your tank as long as your test numbers stay in the safe range.

My timid fish come out more when I have
a dark background
Floating plants
Plenty of cover to dive into

I need to add a background to my 55g so my fish show up better.

I do add algae wafers every couple days (There's not nearly enough algae in my 29 to sustain all my algae eaters without them!) The siamese algae eater normally ignores everyone in the tank until I put in algae wafers. Then he tries to chase the otos away sometimes. They've learned to let him chow down and then go in for their meal a little later after lights out! Seems to work because everyone seems chubby and happy.

I kinda doubt that either of the larger fish are intimidating the neons because they actually seem to be more out and about since I added them. Seems weird but as I said in my original post, perhaps the siamese is out and it makes them feel more secure seeing other fish swimming in the open.

I'm working on the plenty of cover bit, my plants are growing out a lot more since i finally upgraded the lights on the tank. I don't currently have any floating plants though, so maybe that's the next step but I'd have to order that online

I did add a few more harlequins who promptly spawned in the quarantine tank! (that's what my other thread was about) So I may soon have to see if there's a lfs around who will take some extra harlequins! Literally every time I quarantine harlequins I end up with baby fish. Obviously my source water works for them!

Try feeding blanched organic zucchini or romaine or spinach. Variety is good.

I've done that for my otos, but haven't tried it since getting him. My otos, oddly enough, ignore most of the vegetable foods that I tried but took to pellets really well so I have a bunch of different varieties of pellets that I rotate through :)

Make sure to blanch or soften the food. Or just leave it in the tank for 3 days as long as it's not becoming messy.

You can freeze greens or veggies. Or add a little water and microwave just a bit.

Back
Top Bottom