Stocking level 109%??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManicPenguin

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 20 gal I have:
2, small cory cats
4, guppies
6 mollies

AqAdvisor says I am overstocked, but LFS says I can add more guppies if I want to.

Is AqAdvisor overly conservative on stocking levels? Is the LFS just trying to sell more fish?

I know there are several Cory cats, LFS said mine are a small variety.

A bit of both, however in my experience mollies can make a tank highly stocked real quick.

Do you know how many males and females you have of both the mollies and the guppies?

Also could you post a picture of your cories? We might be able to help identify them. Cories are pretty much all small, with pygmies being a bit smaller.

I'll put up pictures this evening (EST time)

I have 2 each male and female guppies...LFS only sells by the pair.
I have 5 female mollies and 1 male
No idea the sex of the Cory cats.

Cory cats and guppies came from LFS. Mollies from Petsmart $0.80 sale.

I asked for 2 male mollies but the clerk miss-sexed and I only got 1 male.

I'll put up pictures this evening (EST time)

No idea when that'll be but I check back here pretty often. It's 1am here in Australia though ;)

If you do choose to add more guppies I'd try to add 2 more females. I've heard a ratio of 2f:1m works best for them.

I'd swap you a male for a female if it were possible, I have 2 males and they're a pain with chasing each other around haha.

Personally though, with 6 mollies, I'd say aqadvisor has it right and you're slightly overstocked. Cories would be the only thing I'd consider adding, I love them and wouldn't be satisfied with such a small school! Does your tank not look busy with so many livebearers?

What are your water parameters and how often/how big do you do water changes? Is it planted?

Your Tank Stocking Level

In my 20 gal I have:
2, small cory cats
4, guppies
6 mollies

AqAdvisor says I am overstocked, but LFS says I can add more guppies if I want to.

Is AqAdvisor overly conservative on stocking levels? Is the LFS just trying to sell more fish?

I know there are several Cory cats, LFS said mine are a small variety.

Hello Manic...

The Livebearers you have are fast breeders in good conditions. I wouldn't add any more fish and make plans for a much larger tank. I'd go in for a 55 G. In the mean time, large weekly water changes are in order and a bit of standard aquarium salt, especially for the Mollies.

B

I think there are a lot of us that do slight over stocking. According to aqadvisor I am at 118%. I change 50% of my water weekly, have a heavily planted tank and my fish are happy and healthy. But I work from home and if needed I will do water changes in the middle of the week.
But I wouldn't do guppies and mollies together as they can breed together and you will be hard pressed to find an LFS that will be willing to take the hybrid babies.

You have to consider that guppies and mollies are live bearers. They both produce high bioloads (especially mollies) and that is why you are over stocked. I wouldnt add more.

The reason your overstocked is because many types of Mollies can reach 5 inches with an incredibly high bio-load. I'd return at least 2 or 3 female mollies and then maybe you can add a guppy or two. Plus as already mentioned mollies and guppies can interbreed which is not a good thing as hybrid offspring are not usually wanted. With so many livebearers your tank is going to be over run with fry in no time. I have one tank that I only stock male Endlers (another type of livebearer) which gives me a lot of color without having to worry about being over run with fry.

Are your guppies all males?
And yes, the overstock result is likely to be due to the mollies which may grow to a pretty large size

I have 2 male guppies and 2 female guppies....one female might be sick. :-(

Back
Top Bottom