Stocking levels and schools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceForever

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster...I have a question regarding stocking the different ‘Levels’ of my aquarium properly...

How many schools is too many per level? I have a 46 gallon bow front, with an angel and the 5 zebra danios who I used to cycle...I’m actually trying to decide if I want to keep them or take them back, which is what I planned on doing but I kinda like them hence the question...

I plan on having ~10 cardinal tetras, 5-6 harlequin rasboras, 6 sterbai Corys, my Angel, and the Danios...maybe...but I don’t want to overcrowd the top/mid levels of the aquarium...

Will three schools be alright in this size aquarium? I’ve read that danios are comfortable throughout the entire aquarium, but mine seem to prefer the middle/top, although I suppose they may act differently once I get the rest of the fish in there...just want to keep everyone happy and colorful :)

Good thinking wanting to pay attention to all the levels.

If you like the Danios, keep them, they are going to be the faster moving fish in the tank.

A 46G bowfront is kinda a perfect size (of not TOO big) of community tank, big enough for a few groups of fish.

You have a good combination of body shapes of the fish, colors and locations in the tank where they will swim. Although the Danios are similar shape as the Cardinals, the Danios will be higher and the Cardinals will stay mid lower if there are plants to swim in and out of, they like the cover. Danios don't care that much.

That sounds like a very nice setup. My advice would be to raise the danio and rasbora schools to seven apiece: you'll get better schooling behavior from the rasboras, and the danios will more likely stick to chasing each other.

Otherwise, I think it promises to be a pretty tank.

Back
Top Bottom