Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt_7689

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm waiting a month before I add anymore fish because I did not cycle it, but when I do add more fish, I think I might add these fish.

4: Long fin minor tetras
1: Sunburst platty
2: fancy guppies.

I have a ten gallon tank and don't know if that would overcrowd my tank. I already have a platy and I really enjoy it. I'm not sure about the tetras, I might just go with neon tetras as I only have one left. If I were to get the long finned tetras, would they school with my current tetra?

:thanks: for all of your advice!! :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also wanting to add a crab but not sure what would happen if I did. Any advice?

IME, red minors are not suitable for a 10g tank. They can be pretty nippy. I have kept them in 10g quarantine tanks and they were really nasty, even in the short amount of time they were in there. Their behavior and activity level requires a larger tank.
If you just wanted a platy or guppy or a centerpiece fish, you would have more options for nano fish.
If you want the 2 guppies and platy, your options are a bit more limited, but you could get another guppy or another platy IMO.
I don't know too much about crabs since I have never had them. Most crabs that I know of need access to air, so they don't usually do well in traditional fish tank set-ups. What kind of crabs were you looking at?

I'm not sure what type of crab. I saw some on my pet store's website and was thinking about it. The crab I was looking at was an aquatic crab so it should do okay in a tank. I might get the guppies and neon tetras. Thanks for the advice about the minors!

I have some red minor tetras. I think they are fun cuz they are active and all but the others are right, so nippy! They were always chasing my betta around before I moved him out.

Oh yea, I read that Betta's don't do well with nippy fish.

I'm not sure what type of crab. I saw some on my pet store's website and was thinking about it. The crab I was looking at was an aquatic crab so it should do okay in a tank. I might get the guppies and neon tetras. Thanks for the advice about the minors!
Just make sure you figure out exactly what kind of crab it is before adding it. A lot of crabs are sold as totally aquatic even though they need access to air. So, just make sure you do your research. :)

Just make sure you figure out exactly what kind of crab it is before adding it. A lot of crabs are sold as totally aquatic even though they need access to air. So, just make sure you do your research. :)

Thanks! Do you know of any totally aquatic crabs? And if they need access to air, how would I go about doing that?

Matt_7689 said:
Thanks! Do you know of any totally aquatic crabs? And if they need access to air, how would I go about doing that?

Maybe look into a dwarf crawdad. I know there is a crayfish that doesn't get to big, but don't know what type.

The only fully aquatic one I know of is the Thai micro crab. I don't know much about them though. There are also dwarf crayfish that stay really small. You have to be very careful about tankmates with little guys like that though so the tiny crustaceans don't get eaten. From what I have heard, they also tend to be quite sensitive so you have to make sure your water stays really nice.

Back
Top Bottom