Stocking my 10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fissyfriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
So right now I have one female betta and two neon tetras (I do not want more tetras). I want to add some kind of shrimp or something (not an African Dwarf Frog though). I would prefer not to have ghost shrimp because I had some in the past and did not have good luck with them. I was wondering what you guys think I should add in the way of bottom dwellers. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks :)

So right now I have one female betta and two neon tetras (I do not want more tetras). I want to add some kind of shrimp or something (not an African Dwarf Frog though). I would prefer not to have ghost shrimp because I had some in the past and did not have good luck with them. I was wondering what you guys think I should add in the way of bottom dwellers. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks :)

A ghost shrimp would look cool, and you need at least 1 more tetra, they are school fish :)

O nvm just read the ghost part......how about a dwarf albino pleco

You really need more Tera's first get at least 3 more. You could add a few oto cats they are not very hardy though you would need to really keep up on tank maintenance besides that there really isn't much else. You could I guess add a few netrite snails instead of Otos.

What about other kinds of shrimp, like bamboo or other kinds? What types of shrimp can I have that will be okay with my betta and tetras? My pH is about 7.8 and my temperature is sitting at 78-80º.

Really your best bet is ghost shrimp they are transparent and can't be seen all other shrimp will be picked on and probably killed.

I have dwarf frogs in my community tank and in my male betta tank. I don't consider them as food for fish :/

I have dwarf frogs in my community tank and in my male betta tank. I don't consider them as food for fish :/

They aren't food for fish. Your dwarf frogs are just fine the only fish that will eat them are large aggressive cichlids, bichirs, or other large fish any community fish or bettas they are perfectly safe:).

What about other kinds of shrimp, like bamboo or other kinds? What types of shrimp can I have that will be okay with my betta and tetras? My pH is about 7.8 and my temperature is sitting at 78-80º.

A lot depends on the temperament of the female betta. What you could try is get 2 red cherry shrimp and add them. But be sure to have plenty of hiding places and some plants. A piece of driftwood with some java moss would be great. I would see how the betta reacted to the two small RCS before adding a Bamboo shrimp. You could also look into Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish.

You could add 4-5 Pygmy or Dwarf cory cats. There are also some colorful Nerite snails.

Okay. My female betta is very gentle and very kind. She does not harass them or chase them or anything, instead she kisses them and almost mothers them. So based on this I think getting RCS would be okay. I will be getting more plants soon and hopefully will be making a cave by my filter out of slate rock (I think that is what you call it). Will this environment be okay for the RCS? What about my pH and temperature? My pH is 7.8 (hopefully coming down) and my temperature is sitting at 80º. Thank you for your help. :)

Attachments

• 10gal.jpg
    10gal.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 69
That is a perfect piece of DW for you to add some moss to! You could add some crypts in the substrate, put a couple moss balls in since shrimp seem to enjoy having them, and maybe even add a java fern or two. Then I think shrimp would have a pretty good chance. I wouldn't add any until you get the tank more planted so they have enough hiding spots if they need or want them. I would also drop the temp to 78F.

What piece of DW? The one on the left or right side of my tank? I read up on the crypts, but am wondering if they will be okay in the substrate I have. I do plan on putting a couple moss balls in also. My friend will be giving me the offspring of some of his plants including his java fern so that I am set on. I plan on getting some dwarf subulata or mondo grass too. Would the shrimp do okay with those? Thank you so much for your help. :)

Mondo Grass isn't an aquatic plant so don't get it. Crypts will work even in your larger substrate. And any of those pieces of DW will work for plants or moss to be tied on.

Okay, thank you. Will building a little slate rock cave by my filter intake be beneficial to shrimp? Is it unnecessary?

the more hiding places the better for the shrimp. Moss is also a very good thing to have in a shrimp tank.

Go to Pet Smart and get a couple Crypt Wendtii or one of the smaller Crypts. Don't get Balanese as it gets very tall but I've seen Wendtii, Tropica, and one other type of crypt that I can't think of the name. You've got large grained gravel so your limited to the type's of plants you can use in it. Just be sure to pick up some root tabs to use in the substrate next to the crypts as they are heavy root feeders.

I read that Pygmy cory's are supposed to be kept in groups of 8. I only have a 10g so that wont work.

Back
Top Bottom