Stocking my 16 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be overcrowding your aquarium. And the cories can be up to 3 inches. The rule is one inch of fish for every gallon.

See, that's what I thought!!! What can I have so its Not over crowding?

Cory cats would be great but would have limited amount of fish. If you want variety try getting small non schooling fish that can be no more than 4 inches. Guppies can be about 2 inches and if you are a beginner those would be great fish!

Glow light and cardinal tetras would be great schooling fish if you like the schooling side!

That's what I like... So I'm hoping with my weekly water changes and good lighting I could be ok? People are telling me I can over stock if I do the correct maintenance.

8 cardinal tetras
5 glo light tetras
4 Cory's
That good?

The inch per gallon rule is considered severely outdated and is no longer used as an effective measure to stock a tank. It does not take into consideration things like fish bioload, temperament, individual needs (water hardness, temp, etc), and so forth.

What are the dimensions of your 16g tank? In most cases your projected stock would probably work ok provided you go with a smaller cory species like pygmy, dwarf, panda, etc. Cardinals are generally recommended for slightly larger tanks like a 24 or 30 inch tank due to their activity level and max size. For the "glo light tetras" is it safe to assume you're referring to hemigrammus erythrozonus? Sorry, I ask only because there is a difference between that species and the genetically modified glofish tetras. If it is hemigrammus erythrozonus then you could probably do something like 10 of those, 6-8 pygmy cories, and a honey gourami.

Funny you say that, I have now 8 cardinals 4 Cory's and 2 honey gourami! They are all loving the tank! Demotions are 20" by 13" by 18"

The pet store I went to not Petco or Petsmart but a legit pet store said that too honey gouramis will get along as long as we have enough swimming area and that they are the calmest of their species is that true?

Honey gourami are extremely peaceful and sometimes work in group situations but mainly when there's an appropriate ratio of males and females. Females are unfortunately pretty rare in the mainstream hobby as they very drab in color compared to males. Males will often get along with each other when they're juveniles but things can change very quickly as they approach sexual maturity, so be sure to keep a close eye on them as one may need to be rehomed eventually. Gouramis are cousins to bettas and their territorial nature toward members of the same species/gender is often very similar.

That would be overcrowding your aquarium. And the cories can be up to 3 inches. The rule is one inch of fish for every gallon.

No it's not! You can't put a 10" fish in a 10 gallon tank. Use aqadvisor.com to check. Sounds a bit overcrowded to me too.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Back
Top Bottom