Stocking my Malawi tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbbieM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I aquascaped my Malawi tank today with sand and blue stone. I have 2 blue peacock cichlids at the moment, what else should I put in there? Any ideas would be appreciated. It's 100gal, fully cycled. 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate, pH of 7.5. IMG_2370.jpg

You should get the photos to 7.8 to 8.4 before adding the fish. My idea is u should get 5-10 yellow labs and have the rest be male peacocks.

Sent from my VS995 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it absolutely necessary to get the pH higher? My peacocks have been living in a pH of 7.5 for about a year and are fine

No the whole specific PH levels is a bunch of regurgitated nonsense from people who don't know what they're talking about. I've raised and bred more wild caught fish from Central America to Africa(including discus) than anyone here and I used Illinois well water. The key to Ph is stability as flucuation is harmful. As long as the fish are acclimated properly( I recommend a 45-60 minute drip) they'll be fine.

Oh wow HUKIT that is the smartest post I have read by anyone on this forum. Or heard anyone in the fish keeping hobby say. I truly hate it when people just spew stuff they heard sowmpne say who heard someone else say and so on for the last 40 to 50 years. Most of the fish we purchase now have been breed and breed and breed in so many different water ranges they are way more resilient than people know. Just glad to see some people still have common sense

Abbie, I like the rock work but in my opinion it looks to uniform. I'd play around with it to make it look more natural.

What type of cichlids are you lookin at? Mbuna or peacocks? Depending on tank dimensions maybe Haps.

I already have 2 blue peacocks so I'll probably stick with peacock. Can electric yellows be kept with them?

Yes they can be kept with them. Peacocks are a fun way to go because of the diversity that they provide and the endless options that you have to choose from! If you are more specific with what you're looking for I can suggest some for you.

I'd recommend Pseudotropheus saulosi which will get you those classic yellow and blue mbuna colors.

Or Cynotilapia zebroides

Labidochromis caeruleus are boring and too common in my opinion.

I picked up some of these today :D 4 Pseudotropheus demasoni and 7 Labidochromis caeruleus!! They look so good IMG_2420.jpgIMG_2417.jpg

I picked up some of these today :D 4 Pseudotropheus demasoni and 7 Labidochromis caeruleus!! They look so good View attachment 299948View attachment 299949

Demasoni have a very high con-specific aggression level, you're going to need a lot more! You'll either need 14-15 or 1 to spread the aggression throughout the tank, anything in between simply doesn't work long term.

They are a great addition too!

Demasoni have a very high con-specific aggression level, you're going to need a lot more! You'll either need 14-15 or 1 to spread the aggression throughout the tank, anything in between simply doesn't work long term.

They are a great addition too!

I'm thinking of selling the demasonis when they get bigger if I find that they're to aggressive. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the least aggressive one in the tank. What's your opinion on yellow labs and peacocks? Do you think they will work out in the long run? And would I be able to add 1 more male peacock and 3 more females?

I'm thinking of selling the demasonis when they get bigger if I find that they're to aggressive. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the least aggressive one in the tank. What's your opinion on yellow labs and peacocks? Do you think they will work out in the long run? And would I be able to add 1 more male peacock and 3 more females?

What size tank is that? Yes, labs and peacocks shouldn't be a problem together. Did you ever give any thought to an all Male peacock set up?

100 gallons
I did but I already have a female peacock and I really like the yellow in the tank

You could just go with mbunas now since you already gave a bunch.....I've had an arautus with and elongates johanni and they did pretty well together but they were way to aggressive towards my peacocks so I sold them. My opinion is that mbunas should really only be kept with other mbunas or more aggressive fish because of how mean they are. Yes peacocks can get a little feisty at times but they dont stay mean like mbunas do.

Ph doesnt matter as long as its above neutral, swings in ph are what is harmful to african cichlids. They will acclimate just fine to 7.5 with a little help at first.

I haven't had any swings in the pH, my tap water is always 7.5 and I never use any chemicals to change it. I checked the pH of the water in the bucket when I got my cichlids and it was also 7.5 so I guess that's just the tap water where I live :)

Keep up with water changes ph will swing on its own, complicated water chemistry situation. But it will change due to a few different factors. I do weekly on all my tanks and it stays consistant.

I would suggest aragonite substrate(reef sand) and throw in a few limestone boulders. They naturally raise ph. And will keep it on the higher end if you miss a water change here and there. Try not too tho! Dont buy any of the buffers at your local lfs. Pointless and a waste of money on a temporary fix.

Back
Top Bottom