Stocking my New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdVendetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

First I must thank everyone. As a beginner in the hobby, everything that people contribute is incredibly helpful.

On to the point. I am in the process of setting up a 55 gal tank. Plan on making a lightly to moderate planted community tank. I would like to have: a pair of angel fish, 6-10 (or more, i'm completely open to any and all suggestions) neon tetras or something similar, and a pair of loachs. I have read that loachs should be kept in schools. A friend of mine has a pair of them and seem to do fine. Is that ok? Also, i'm looking for suggestions for other additions to round out the community.

As for plants, i am horribly uneducated in them. Looking for a some direction as what to get.

Like i said, i'm looking for ideas so Fire Away! Your not going to hurt my feelings.

Well the neons could become food for the angels. Unless you are really set on them, Mabye do cardnal tetras, as they are nearly identical to neons but larger. The loaches will be ok in pair, but in your tank you could easily do 1 or 2 more. I'd do the
1 angel
10 cardinals
4 loaches
2 apistogrammas
3 platys

I was thinking clown loaches. Their size was a concern of mine, that's why i was thinking only a pair. Down the road I may upgrade to a much larger tank (thinking as they out grow my 55), as i am addicted to the hobby already and have barely gotten started.

Any tips on plants? I'm looking for something with low to mid light and relatively easy to maintain.

If you get the loaches small I've heard they grow pretty slowly so you'd have some time before you'd need to upgrade but you would need to do it eventually before they reach full size so they don't go through stunting, so if you aren't definitely sure you can upgrade to a 200+ gal tank I wouldn't get them. They do prefer groups and can get stressed with smaller numbers.

Plants will depend on your lighting. If you want to use the stock lights that come with the tank, or get a single fixture, most low-light plants should do ok: java fern, anubias, most mosses, swords, vallisneria. Do a Google search for "low light plants aquarium." If you want to grow more types of plants you'll likely need more light; the higher light you have you'll likely need to dose fertilizers and add some sort of CO2.

Something else to consider is clown loaches can be pretty hard on plants. They tend to like to put holes in larger leaf plants such as swords and crypts. All loaches except Hillstream and Kuhli's, root in the substrate alot and can be hard on shallow rooting plants. I finally gave up on my Dwarf Baby Tear carpet due to the loaches constantly digging up the edges and uprooting it. I keep 3 yo-yo loaches in my heavily planted 220g and while they are fun fish to watch I wouldn't add anymore. If you really wanted loaches yo-yo's are actually one of the best loaches all around in temperment and they don't get overly large.

In a 55g you could easily do two angels which would make a good centerpiece fish.

As for plants in a low light, low tech setup you can do swords, crypts, most vals, dwarf sag, narrowleaf temple, ambulia, to name a few and for plants to attach to DW you can do anubia's, java ferns (regular and Wendilov), and Bolbitus.

Cardinals or Rummynose tetras both work well with Angels. I keep a school of 25 Cardinals, 25 Rummynose, with 12 adult angels.

In a 55g you could easily do two angels which would make a good centerpiece fish.

That was my intention with a pair. I do love those yo-yo loaches too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another thought was to add a second type of schooling fish in addition to the Cardinals. Would this be too busy/crowed (for the fish and for the observer). Or should i just increase the number of cardinals?

With having two angels you'd do best with one larger school so the angels have some space. You could do around 12 cardinals that once mature and full size would make a nice addition without making the tank look busy.

Looking at Loaches again. I still love the clown loaches but, a 55gal in not enough room for them. I do really like the yo yo loaches too.

My question is: I have a gravel substrate. It is all smooth rounded stones, with nothing bigger than a dime. Is this an acceptable substrate for loaches? I understand you have to be careful with loaches so they don't damage their barbels.

The smooth gravel is fine for their barbels but they may have a harder time digging around with larger gravel.

My fishless cycle is about done. Obviously i can't stock everything at once, and I probably need to tweak this but i'm thinking of doing:

2 angels
10 cardinal tetra
8 Lemon tetra
3 Burmese board loaches

Are there any potential problems with this stocking plan? Is there any particular order i should introduce them?

Personally I think that is a great stock list. I'd add the cardinals, then loaches, then angels last unless the angels are really small then I'd add them before the loaches. Some people say loaches nip at angels fins and feelers but I have 12 adult angels and 3 adult yo-yo loaches and have no issues with nipping but just wanted you to have the info.

Back
Top Bottom