Stocking my tank issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cterzich

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and fish tanks. I have family members in the business and SW friends most likely know him. I always wanted a tank after seeing them in his house, store, etc. I want to start out with a fresh water tank since I don't have alot of money at this time. ( College kind of sucks at time ) My cousin moved to Canada and I got his fish tank; therefore, I now have a 55 gallon fish tank ready to go! I'm having some problems in choosing fish. I see some aggressive ones such as Spotted Puffer, Discus, Cichlid. I also like the Boesemani Rainbow alot which are peaceful ( More of the blue tinted ones ). I'm so lost what to do. Maybe someone can suggest some readings or some advice. I don't know what temperament to go with. I want the one that will give me the most colorful and options to add fish later on. With Aggressive from my understanding can be mix with some semi-aggressive fish. If that is the case can I open myself up to more fish to pick from later on if I wanted to add? If you and any help please let me know I'm going crazy here trying to figure it out. My hold up is the Boesemani Rainbow Fish

:n00b:

have you considered african cichlids?because there color is amazing ,there pretty agresive with most fish besides their own species and some other fish. i have some and i love them they are soo colorful.if not i would go with the rainbowfish they look great!!:)

I really want to put different types of fish and be able to add new fish as I go along. I need fish that are going to be ok with other fish. I also like the idea of schools of fish. I think its really cool when they travel is packs.

I keep looking at the rainbow fish, but just seems like that is the only fish I want from the peaceful group. Community tank is really what I want to aim for, but I'm unsure of the guide lines with community aquarium and semi to aggressive fish.

throw out your ideas... its really hard to suggest without trying to make you lean one way or another. African cichlids are possibly the most colorful fish you can get, but you can only do african cichlids. Just let us know what fish you are considering and we will let you know what fish to get. Also before you get any fish, you didnt specify... did you cycle the tank?

Ok, I'm going with cichlids because they are super colorful and seem to be really cool. As far as the tank goes right now I have Koi fish in there and they are too big for the tank all 3 are around 1 feet. The tank is being used at this time, so the filter and tank are being cycled. I have a XP2, but I think I need to add some more bio balls.

Yeah, definately sound overstocked lol... So what cichlids have you thought about? I like mbuna, but there are so many types you can choose from. Im looking forward to seeing some pictures of what you get :)

Thanks again for the help! I'm selling the Koi Fish right now and once paid for I have all the stuff for the new fish ( Heater, new rocks, and gravel )

Back
Top Bottom