stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first started this tank the plan was a planted barb tank, but after looking around I have been also leaning in another direction. Please let me know what you think of the two different stocking options.

Stock option 1
4 Denison barbs (Roseline sharks)
7 Tiger barbs
5 Odessa barbs
4 bottom feeder (nothing that grows to big, would cory cats survive with a bunch of barbs?)
Nerite Snails (how many can you put)

Stock option 2
4 Denison barb (Roseline sharks)
8 neon tetras
6 Rainbow fish (any recommendations, leaning towards Boesemani and another type)
4 panda cory cats

I think stock option 2 would give me more flexibility plus I could eventually introduce a center piece like discus, angle fish or German Blue Ram when I get the larger tank.

Right now it is a 45 gallon planted tank, but will get a larger tank next summer.

Input, advice or a don’t do it J would be appreciated, even a stocking options 3, must include 4 Denison barbs….

TIA
Rick

In a 45g you could possibly do the 4 Denison barbs, then I'd do 1 male and 3 female Rainbowfish (you can add more once you upgrade. Skip the Neons. Get one of the larger Cory Cat species. I "think" Emerald and Bronze cory's are two of the larger species you could use. But get a group of 6 to make them feel more secure. You could do 5-10 nerites.

Honestly I'm not sure I'd do the denison's or any larger type of rainbow in a 45. What are the dimensions? If it's 36" long that's a bit narrow for either of those active species. The denison's should be in larger group to mitigate aggression which would require a larger tank too. I'd stock the smaller fish for now and then when you upgrade, add the others.

I put my input in red.

When I first started this tank the plan was a planted barb tank, but after looking around I have been also leaning in another direction. Please let me know what you think of the two different stocking options.

Stock option 1
4 Denison barbs (Roseline sharks)
7 Tiger barbs
5 Odessa barbs
4 bottom feeder (nothing that grows to big, would cory cats survive with a bunch of barbs?)

Odessa Barbs are 'cool water' fish. So, I am not sure they would be too happy in with other tropical fish.

Stock option 2
4 Denison barb (Roseline sharks)
8 neon tetras
6 Rainbow fish (any recommendations, leaning towards Boesemani and another type)
4 panda cory cats

For Rainbows, I like Furcata Rainbow fish. That is all I am going to input, I am not sure about the others, besides the neons, but I personally would skip those.

I think stock option 2 would give me more flexibility plus I could eventually introduce a center piece like discus, angle fish or German Blue Ram when I get the larger tank.

You can't put discus in a 45 gallon. They need at least a 55 gallon, so you can have a school.
You could do a German Blue Ram, but they are actually pretty calm fish, you you need other calm fish with them, and I don't think barbs would be that. You could do an Angel though.

Right now it is a 45 gallon planted tank, but will get a larger tank next summer.

Input, advice or a don’t do it J would be appreciated, even a stocking options 3, must include 4 Denison barbs….

TIA
Rick

Back
Top Bottom