Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK.

I'm fighting out some pH issues but once that is over I would like to continue stocking my tank.

Currently I have 3 Neon Tetras, 1 Glolight Tetra, and 2 Cory Cats (as well as a few MTSs) as well as anacharis and anubias nana. Tank is cycled.

I would like, for my end result, to have a more active group of fish... so far I am thinking:

3 Neon Tetras
3 Glolight Tetras
2 Cory Cats
1 Female Betta
2-3 shrimp, preferably RCS (I may not be able to find these guys around... so this could be a null point anyway)

I have a lot of filtration and a very clean tank and test/do PWCs weekly. Just wondering if this group would be overkill for a tall 8gal or OK.

What I'm worried about with the shrimp is that I really don't have much algae... the cories keep the gravel clean and the plants use up most of my nitrates. Also I'm concerned that if I can't get my pH straightened out to a more normal level that the shrimp would not be healthy as they are more sensitive to a lower pH, correct? (Currently it is 6.4 but I hope that it will even out to 7-ish, which is the pH of the water I add with PWCs.)

I'm actually not adjusting the pH... it dropped to 6.4 by itself.

9 fish in an 8gal, the tetras with a fairly low bioload, are 'way too many'? The shrimp are still an idea and like I mentioned I haven't been able to find any here anyway.

neon tetras are a shoaling fish and classed as a timid tetra, normally they should be kept in groups of at least 10 fish which is well dubious in an 8 gallon tank-same prob with the glow-lights,think you should stock one or the other

Even with a well planted tank, that is too many fish IMO. The only way that you will sustain those fish it to do additional water changes and have a good filter. While there are variations to the 1" of adult fish per gallon, smaller tanks are harder to keep stable. It is of course your choice.

I know the tetras should be all one species- I would have preferred to get all neons but the LFS guy got a glolight (same tank)... as they were schooling together there I figured why not, it'll add color, but they don't school very often in my tank. Hence adding a couple of more glolights as the 3 tetras tend to school but the glolight hangs out by himself.

Besides the pH the tank hasn't wobbled at all in parameters. Biggest spike I've had was to .5 nitrites and that was just after adding fish. I would have a bigger tank except we're limited to 10gals here at school and it's rather hard to find a 10gal kit with lid etc... plus I have very little space for the tank so pah.

Once I'm able to have a bigger tank I will probably make the 8gal a shrimp or betta tank and get a 20... ehehe. multiple tank syndrome here we come :p

Even with a well planted tank, that is too many fish IMO. The only way that you will sustain those fish it to do additional water changes and have a good filter. While there are variations to the 1" of adult fish per gallon, smaller tanks are harder to keep stable. It is of course your choice.
Have to agree. As I said before, I've seen a (bigger) tank stocked 5" of fish per gallon. But that was an experienced professional with mega filtration. I would never try it myself.

thats enough fish. you could maybeput in 2 more glolight tetras just for him to school with after that no more fish. oh and if you get a bigger tank soon get another cory. cories do best in groups of 3 or more.

no chance of a bigger tank for a while. the only way that would happen is if my parents decided they wanted fish at home and I gave them my current tank and got something like an eclipse 12 but it wouldn't be bigger than that.

thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom