stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffa-man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi im busy cycling my tank and just wanted to know if the following fish would be alright for a 18g tank.

4 zebra danios
2 platies
2 guppies
3 black widow tetras
and some sort of loach or catfish(any suggestions)

thanks heaps in advance:p

Based on bioload you should be fine, idk about temperament but most of those should be fine however I'd bump your schools up, especially the danios I'd go with at least 7 or eight and same with your tetras. And for bottom feeders I always suggest cories lol I love mine so much :) they are so lively and have great personalities!!!

With guppies, if you get males only, I would get at least four. Mine like company, lots of it, and with two males, there will probably be bullying.

Also, the schools need to be a minimum of six. Zebra danios, I know, will become nippy when not in proper schools.

The only catfish you could keep in that tank (besides a small school of cories) would be a bumblebee catfish. All other predatory catfish get much too big for an 18 g. South American bumblebee cats stay around 2-3", but Asian bumblebee cats get 6"+, so if you want a catfish be careful what you buy ;>

What are the dimensions of your tank please? It's likely it's not an appropriate size for the danios. If kept in too small of a group, they'd likely get nippy with the others. The black widow tetras would do better in groups of 6+ or they can get nippy as well. Guppies do better in groups of 3+ (male only is advisable). If it were me I would modify the stock list to:
3-4 male guppies
2 platties (you can get male or they will likely come home pregnant)
6 black widow tetras
3-4 kuhli loaches
The guppies and platties would occupy the top half mostly and the tetras and khulis the bottom half :)

thanks siva i think i might do that! i totaly forgot about kuhli loaches, ive had them before and i really liked them.:p

In this case I don't think it matters. The livebearers are going to be the bigger waste producers so add them more carefully (slowly) so you don't throw your tank off.

I have seen some huge Black Widow tetras that would not be happy in an 18g. Black Phantom tetras don't get as big and look similar. They should be pretty common too.

Oh really, I didn't realize. I usually consider 20 the minimum for them based on the size of the my own that I keep in a 20 high, and thought in this case the tank being just a bit shy of that would be OK. Maybe a 20 long or 29 would really be better options for them.

how does this combo sound to u guys?
6 zebra danios
1 male betta
3 khuli loaches
and then a school of 4 or 5 other fish(suggestions?)

Back
Top Bottom