Stocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I lost my female gbr, I would like to rehome my male which would leave me with...

2 keyholes
5 glow light tetras
2 cories
1 bn Pleco

The tank is 30 gal long with two filters

My question is, would a firemouth or two be good in there? If not, what cichlids would be good? How about blood parrots?

I wouldn't do a firemouth in there, from what I've read they can be quite the mean fish especially since you have the keyholes in there. I think the blood parrots would be too big for the tank as well. I'd do some kind of Apisto, or some other dwarf cichlid. Personally I'd do Nannacara anomala, they're beautiful little fish! However it's all up to you!

Im actually interested in getting a somewhat bigger fish. The keyholes are the biggest fish I've ever had so I want to try bigger.

Hm, well, maybe an angelfish? It's a bit on the short side, but I think that it might work. That's about all I can think of. Maybe some others can assist!

I had some angelfish and idk what it was... But I just didn't like them. Very pretty, just not my type. What about yellow labs?

Too mean. Plus they're from Africa and they will not mix with your South American cichlids. They need different water parameters and just different care entirely.

Right... An oscar....? I know that's a stretch. Yeah never mind. What about convicts, jewels, uhmmm idk that's all I know that petsmart has right now

Pckerfreak44 said:
Right... An oscar....? I know that's a stretch. Yeah never mind. What about convicts, jewels, uhmmm idk that's all I know that petsmart has right now

All of those are way mean. Convicts, just look at the name;). Jewels (I love these) are quite the little fighters and can take down fish larger than themselves, plus African once again. One that might work that is from Africa but has similar needs to the Keyholes is the kribensis. They're a little on the larger size but not insanely large, and they're on the more relaxed side of the cichlids.

If you aren't set on cichlids the gourami family would be a great group of fish to look at. I really love the pearl gourami, but I've never had one. I've had an opaline gourami once and it was one of the most docile fish that I've ever had. They'd be a good fish for your tank and their a larger species.

I just had a dwarf gourami die last week:/ I loved him soooo much but I wanna stay away from them for a bit, I looked and kribs before and I like them but idk where to get them

I had an extremely hard time keeping gbrs in my sa tank. They tend to die for no reason other than bad breeding. I would suggest boliviano as well, similar to gbr but much easier to keep. Someone mentioned kribs and a pistol as well. I would caution you on those dwarfs as if you end up getting a breeding pair they get extremely aggressive.

I second.... Third bolivan rams. My gbr was good and never had problems with water quality. He was just to mean for his own good I couldn't keep him in a community so I gave him to my lfs and that was that (also they put him with red devil and convict juveniles and he still fought).

Alright, just went to petsmart and petco to see what they have and these are all the south Americans there, tell me if any would work. Red Texas, jack Dempsey, jewel, flower horn, or a birchiridi or something. Never seen it before.

Pckerfreak44 said:
Alright, just went to petsmart and petco to see what they have and these are all the south Americans there, tell me if any would work. Red Texas, jack Dempsey, jewel, flower horn, or a birchiridi or something. Never seen it before.

I would not suggest any of these fish with the ones you have now. You'd probably only end up with that one left eventually :(

Pckerfreak44 said:
I figured... If I upgrade to a 40 or 45, how much does that increase my options?

If your dead set on cichlids then you need to get rid of everything else. Cichlids both old world and new world are far to aggressive to be housed with the fish you have. You will end up with a tank full of dead fish. That being said if your going to do cichlids, do yourself a favor and research. You need to find out what species can be housed together. New and old cannot mix and there are even quite a few from say the Africans that cannot be mixed. Also many have different feeding requirements and will end up sick and dead if not feed properly.

Hmm I see. I was doin a lil bit of reaserch but I was depending on you guys to tell me what's good or not haha. Ill think about it today and figure out what I want to do...

Back
Top Bottom