Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silverton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, after a long and bitter battle with my fishless cycle (which continually dropped my pH and forced me to do numerous water changes) my tank is finally cycled! This is especially exciting since I seriously considered throwing the whole tank out of the window. With my water testing at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, I did a couple water changes to make sure my nitrates were as low as I could get them, and started adding my fish! So far, I've only added eight glowlight tetras. My plan was as follows:

8 glowlight tetras
6-8 CPD
Nerite snails
MTS
Shrimp

Most of these fish/snails etc I'm going to have to order. Guess I should tell you that I have a 29 gallon tank with pool filter sand as a substrate, live plants (though I'm trying to get some more plants) and an aqua clear filter rated for 50 gallons. So, I'd like some advice about my fish selections, and also some recommendations about top level swimmers as I'm afraid the tetras and CPD will only swim at the mid to low levels. And I want fish small enough not to eat my shrimp. Sorry this turned into a small novel...

emerald76 said:
CPDs are very very shy

That's what I was thinking. That's another reason I wanted to have only small unthreatening fish. Do you think they'd do ok?

I think the CPD's would be fine with that stock. I currently have 10 CPD's with lemon tetras and my CPD's are anything but shy in my tank

Rach88 said:
I think the CPD's would be fine with that stock. I currently have 10 CPD's with lemon tetras and my CPD's are anything but shy in my tank

That's good news! Do they just swim mid to low level?

Silverton said:
That's good news! Do they just swim mid to low level?

For the most part yes they're low to mid level swimmers, however mine seem exceedingly brave and will quite often go for a short swim at the top of my tank especially if I've just fed them

emerald76 said:
I'd get as many CPDs as possible to reduce shyness

That sounds like a good idea. I really like them so I wouldn't mind having a few more. Do you think this will have my tank fully stocked or is there room for something else? I've been thinking about Gold Twin Bar platys. If they won't scare the others or try to eat my shrimp. I'm thinking RCS.

Plates will munch on shrimp fry but I doubt adults
However the CPDs will be very nervous with such a large fish compared to their size

emerald76 said:
Plates will munch on shrimp fry but I doubt adults
However the CPDs will be very nervous with such a large fish compared to their size

Someone's Platies started killing off all the Cherry Shrimp. So at least some Platies will pick adult RCS to death.

Anyone else have any advice on nano fish that swim near the top? And if I get the fish I have listed will I be fully stocked? Also, I think one of my glowlight tetras is going to die :( he's swimming on his side at the bottom and gasping. All my water parameters are good though, so I don't know. He was a loner from the start, so maybe he was sick when I got him.

My male neon black platy is somewhat aggressive. He'd probably scare the little CPD's and give them all little heart attacks. My Mickey mouse platies just go about their own business.

You could look into endlers guppies (they are live bearers). I have male cobra endlers. They stick together, don't bother the others. Stay small and swim at the top/ mid level.... Actually kind of all over the place. There are alot of different varieties of endlers. I believe Severum.mama sometimes has them for sale.

How accurate is the aqadvisor for calculating actual stocking levels? I've added 30 fish and some invertebrates to my estimate, and it's still not 100%. Even though they're all small, it just doesn't seem right to me... My tank dimensions might be off a little, but does it make that much of a difference to the estimate? I have a 30 gallon tank.

Attachments

• image-871189975.jpg
    image-871189975.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 52
Silverton said:
How accurate is the aqadvisor for calculating actual stocking levels? I've added 30 fish and some invertebrates to my estimate, and it's still not 100%. Even though they're all small, it just doesn't seem right to me... My tank dimensions might be off a little, but does it make that much of a difference to the estimate? I have a 30 gallon tank.

Its too cautious for my kind of tanks
I added my stock list of a hundred some fish for a ninety and it freaked out, but...
It's good for people that like less busy tanks- in other words, not me!
I don't trust them

It's a guide like anything else, but i wouldn't trust it 100%.

For the top you could look into spotted blue eye rainbows (Pseudomugil gertrudae). I have them with CPDs and they are pretty, peaceful fish that stay mostly toward the top level.

emerald76 said:
Its too cautious for my kind of tanks
I added my stock list of a hundred some fish for a ninety and it freaked out, but...
It's good for people that like less busy tanks- in other words, not me!
I don't trust them

That must be some aquarium! I'll just try to use it as a guide and add in some common sense. Thanks for the reply!

librarygirl said:
It's a guide like anything else, but i wouldn't trust it 100%.

For the top you could look into spotted blue eye rainbows (Pseudomugil gertrudae). I have them with CPDs and they are pretty, peaceful fish that stay mostly toward the top level.

I've looked at the blue eye rainbows and they look awesome! It's especially good to know they swim near the top. Thanks for the advice!

Silverton said:
So, after a long and bitter battle with my fishless cycle (which continually dropped my pH and forced me to do numerous water changes) my tank is finally cycled! This is especially exciting since I seriously considered throwing the whole tank out of the window. With my water testing at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, I did a couple water changes to make sure my nitrates were as low as I could get them, and started adding my fish! So far, I've only added eight glowlight tetras. My plan was as follows:

8 glowlight tetras
6-8 CPD
Nerite snails
MTS
Shrimp

Most of these fish/snails etc I'm going to have to order. Guess I should tell you that I have a 29 gallon tank with pool filter sand as a substrate, live plants (though I'm trying to get some more plants) and an aqua clear filter rated for 50 gallons. So, I'd like some advice about my fish selections, and also some recommendations about top level swimmers as I'm afraid the tetras and CPD will only swim at the mid to low levels. And I want fish small enough not to eat my shrimp. Sorry this turned into a small novel...

The Glowlights may kill Shrimp. Tetras can be major hunters or not. Watch closely.

What kind of Shrimp ? Ghosts and Amanos should be fine. RCS may survive if you have a lot of plants and cover. But if you want to see your Shrimp, you may end up with all Nano fish.

FYI, in future if you want to feature RCS or other dwarf Shrimp, start with Shrimp. Let them breed. Then add potential predators.

Or you can set up a 5 or 10g just for Shrimp and restock from that if your fish aren't killing all of them.

I have CPDs
Threadfin ( Featherfin) Rainbows
Cory habrosus
Otos
Scarlet Badis ( may eat Shrimplets, fine with adults ).

Coursair said:
The Glowlights may kill Shrimp. Tetras can be major hunters or not. Watch closely.

What kind of Shrimp ? Ghosts and Amanos should be fine. RCS may survive if you have a lot of plants and cover. But if you want to see your Shrimp, you may end up with all Nano fish.

FYI, in future if you want to feature RCS or other dwarf Shrimp, start with Shrimp. Let them breed. Then add potential predators.

Or you can set up a 5 or 10g just for Shrimp and restock from that if your fish aren't killing all of them.

I have CPDs
Threadfin ( Featherfin) Rainbows
Cory habrosus
Otos
Scarlet Badis ( may eat Shrimplets, fine with adults ).

Thanks! I think I'm going to just do some schools of nano fish so I can get the RCS. I think I'll do glowlights, CPD, and the gertrude's. Then shrimp and snails. Im going to order some fish on Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom