Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Females may have some blue speckling within the lateral black blotch; males don't normally have that. Females have a pinker belly, which is really prominent in breeding condition. Males will also have a longer second and third dorsal ray, but that's not always the case. I've actually seen females with longer dorsal rays. Perhaps they were much older than the males...

David

Got a good look. 2 are definitely female. The "male" has had a short little chase with the females tho

It's normal for the male to chase them, you should be worried about the 2 females, cause they both might want to breed with the male. Rams get very attached to their breeding partner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they could get a little defensive towards each other.

Rams aren't usually very aggressive until breeding. If you add the Cory's, since they both hangout near the bottom of the tank, one of the rams might snap if it gets to close to the place where they are keeping the eggs. Rams are known to be very good and protective parents! They are some of the few fish that don't eat their fry.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just my option.

I'd try 4 Cory's and maybe a centerpiece fish.

Could he add a gourami or would that be overstocked ?

It's normal for the male to chase them, you should be worried about the 2 females, cause they both might want to breed with the male. Rams get very attached to their breeding partner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they could get a little defensive towards each other.

Rams aren't usually very aggressive until breeding. If you add the Cory's, since they both hangout near the bottom of the tank, one of the rams might snap if it gets to close to the place where they are keeping the eggs. Rams are known to be very good and protective parents! They are some of the few fish that don't eat their fry.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just my option.

I'd try 4 Cory's and maybe a centerpiece fish.

Could he add a gourami or would that be overstocked ?

I agree with what you've said so far, I would still advise against the Cory's but OP its your tank so do what you want with it. Just as an example of rams temperament, I saw my male bicker with my large clown loach today because the loach was looking for food in the Rams territory, normaly rams are some of the most peaceful fish but you have to make sure the other fish have enough room to escape them when they are defending their space.

Back
Top Bottom