Stocking/Rearranging Tips Needed - school too small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Morning.

At the moment I'm considering my 55g planted tank and the inhabitants. I need some thoughts on how some of you would handle switching things up a bit.

In my 55 I have

4 clown loaches (yes, there is a bigger tank in the future...right now they are the tiniest things ever)
1 burmese loach
3 black skirts
2 white skirts
4 congo tetras
1 betta

The skirt tetras in the 55 are too small in number. There isn't fin-nipping, much, but there is some territoriality that I know comes from too few numbers. The white skirts don't school with the black. I've had them for ages, from way back before I understood about schooling. My gut instinct is to try to find a home for these guys and replace them with a school of something small like cardinals or rummynose, but I feel like a bad fish parent since I've had them for so long. Is it considered bad fish etiquette to trade fish in for something else? Am I dumping my fish like a dog at the pound? Ugh. :nono: I'd certainly have to find them the right home.

I don't believe there's enough room in the tank to extend the school of skirts to a sizeable number without pushing it. At the moment, all five skirts get along peacefully with my betta; I don't want to add more skirts and risk that. I'd rather get something smaller and bright. I have a canister filter for twice as much filtration as I need, which helps a bit.

Would you be willing to share your thoughts on a) what should change, if anything and b) what you would put in if I were to replace all 5 skirts? I'd like a colorful, peaceful school who won't harass my betta. He's rapidly become my little darling.

This is not hint to be of any help but I have congos also and although they are beautiful I have to say they are probably the least intelligent fish I have ever encountered lol:)

If I were you I'd just up it to 5 or 6 of each black and white skirts. I dont think that would push your stock, and if you're getting a.bigger tank in the future, then there will be plenty of room. I don't know about the "etiquette" of returning fish, but I do know they are a lot better off in your tank than in the fish store. Keep them and up the numbers is my.advice.

Back
Top Bottom