stocking ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
got a 10 gallon tank. was looking to get some schooling fish. how many and which type would be a good fit for my tank? open to any and all suggestions
:dance:

I would only do 1 school. Maybe harlequin rasboras or neon tetras would be nice. You can have a betta as a centrepiece with a trio of livebearers.

Neons with an all black background, i'd get corry's to add character to your tank :) ... corys are best in 3 or 4's. Got to be careful with numbers and dont add the fish too quickly.

Pic would be nice once you get things sorted

Neons with an all black background, i'd get corry's to add character to your tank :) ... corys are best in 3 or 4's. Got to be careful with numbers and dont add the fish too quickly.

Pic would be nice once you get things sorted

If you want cories stick with pygmy or pandas. IMO 6 would be better. Say one small schooling fish with the cories and call it stocked.

You could go with Galaxy Rasbora, Chilli Rasbora or Ember Tetras, they stay pretty small (less than 1.5"). I have 5 Embers and 6 Galaxies in one of my 10usg's. If you wanted something a bit showier you could look at some of the Blue Eyed Rainbowfish. I have some Honey Blue Eyes (Pseudomugil mellis) and they are lovely, Gertrude's (Pseudomugil Gretrudae) are also pretty little fish and again they stay small. The females are quite plain but the males are pretty I have 2 males and 4 females and that seems to show them off pretty well.

I also have ember tetras in a 10 gallon tank with a betta and baby silver tip tetras. I love the embers. They are awesome little schoolers and quite pretty.

Even though they usually aren't classified as schoolers I have some endlers that 'school' together! They're pretty neat. IMO I think that you could possibly get 2 schooling fish as long as they're nano. Try the above mentioned fish! They're pretty sweet! Oh and cories- my fav! They constantly school around my tanks! Get 6 of them then they'll really have some fun:)

Thank you all for the suggestions keep em coming!
Include some numbers for me as well. such as how many fish in total you would suggest

The number of the fish all depends on which fish. So which ones do you like? I also forgot to add killifish to the mix.

The number of the fish all depends on which fish. So which ones do you like? I also forgot to add killifish to the mix.
I agree. Do you have any ideas yet what you like? 1 school or 2? School and a centerpiece fish?
My personal vote is 6 ember tetras and a dwarf gourami or betta as a centerpiece. Plus a couple of nerite snails.

In my ten gallon I have..
3x Peppered Corydoras
3x Dwarf Peppered Corydoras
1x Flame Dwarf Gourami

It's a very active and beautiful tank! If you go with corys I highly recommend using sand as a substrate. Mine root around in it all day and night. :>

I agree. Do you have any ideas yet what you like? 1 school or 2? School and a centerpiece fish?
My personal vote is 6 ember tetras and a dwarf gourami or betta as a centerpiece. Plus a couple of nerite snails.

School and a centerpiece is more what im going for

bjhead707 said:
School and a centerpiece is more what im going for

How about a school of CPDs, or harlequin rasboras, endlers or tetras with a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece or maybe even a pair of killies if that is reasonable... Killie people speak up there! And maybe even some DWARF or PYGMY or even PANDA cories at the bottom would be good too! For the schools: 6-8 fish, centerpiece: 1, cories: 6. Oh and there are shrimp that would work on the bottom too!

How about a school of CPDs, or harlequin rasboras, endlers or tetras with a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece or maybe even a pair of killies if that is reasonable... Killie people speak up there! And maybe even some DWARF or PYGMY or even PANDA cories at the bottom would be good too! For the schools: 6-8 fish, centerpiece: 1, cories: 6. Oh and there are shrimp that would work on the bottom too!

ok cool i didnt think i could put that many in the tank for fear of overcrowding(hence why im asking questions). is it just because the different types of fish and where they tend to be in the tank?

The bioloads and the activity of the fish are what usually go into stocking. I'm going to have 6-8 endlers, 1-3 platys and 6 dwarf cories in my 13 gallon. It's all stocked up when that happens but it'll be fine:) it all depends on the fish.

The bioloads and the activity of the fish are what usually go into stocking. I'm going to have 6-8 endlers, 1-3 platys and 6 dwarf cories in my 13 gallon. It's all stocked up when that happens but it'll be fine:) it all depends on the fish.

ahh i see. I like the idea of the gourami as centerpiece cause my gf wants one lol. could i possibly get some zebra danios as the schooling or are do they need more room? and the panda cories are sick! i like them :D

ahh i see. I like the idea of the gourami as centerpiece cause my gf wants one lol. could i possibly get some zebra danios as the schooling or are do they need more room? and the panda cories are sick! i like them :D
IMO, zebra danios need a 20 gallon minimum because of their soze and activity level. The species Aqua and I suggested would be better in a 10 gallon tank.
The pandas are cool, but I would still suggest one of the dwarf species instead. They will be happier in the long-run in that tank. The pygmy corys only reach an inch.
The dwarf gourami woul dmake an awesome centerpeice fish. They are very beautiful and colorful.

Back
Top Bottom