Stocking suggestions 5.5 FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally use AqAdvisor for all my fish tank stocking calculations. But if I were you, I'd do a colony of rcs, if the Berta is shrimp friendly, if not, I'd go and plant the tank with low-light plants and get some rams horn snails, or Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Sent via echolocation

I don't have room for another aquarium. I live with my parents, and I don't think they would appreciate me toting buckets of water and smelly fish food (in their opinion, I think fish food smells great) all around the house, so my fishkeeping is restricted to my room. Maybe if I took out the bed... but, I don't know if the betta is shrimp-safe or not, I was thinking of getting, like 5 ghost shrimp from petsmart and seeing if the betta eats them. I just have trouble getting food to the shrimp before the fish get it. I have kept shrimp with other bettas and the shrimp just could not get to the food... but, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again!

I don't have room for another aquarium. I live with my parents, and I don't think they would appreciate me toting buckets of water and smelly fish food (in their opinion, I think fish food smells great) all around the house, so my fishkeeping is restricted to my room. Maybe if I took out the bed... but, I don't know if the betta is shrimp-safe or not, I was thinking of getting, like 5 ghost shrimp from petsmart and seeing if the betta eats them. I just have trouble getting food to the shrimp before the fish get it. I have kept shrimp with other bettas and the shrimp just could not get to the food... but, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again!

Rcs really won't eat fish food, they feed on the algae in your tank

Sent via echolocation

I currently have some endler's livebearers in my 5 gallon. It's temporary, but I could definitely see a few males being comfortable in a five gallon if there are a lot of plants. They're really active little fish.

I don't have any algae in my tank... gotten lucky so far! I will see if I can find some endlers somewhere, are they schooling fish?

Endlers are usually available at petsmart in my neck of the woods and in a lot of livebearer circles, in the US and Canada that I am personally aware of, that would gladly help walk you through the wonders of endler keeping.

Be aware, however, a grand majority of "endlers" that you will come acrossed at lfs and box stores will be guppy hybrids i.e. "cobra" "tiger" and anything green and have potential to outgrow the 1.2" max length listed for endlers.

I use endlers hybrids from my own turtle tanks as in cycle fish for my new set ups, I personally wouldn't house anything but 3 endlers in a 5.5g planted as they are very boisterous for their size and need room to chase each other. Also- I'd only house males as females are larger and drab grey and a mix of males and females would certainly lead to offspring that can cause a complete chemistry disaster in such a micro setting.

I really want to keep purebred endlers, even though I know I probably won't have room to breed them. Like N class endlers. Where should I get those? Don't think they would have them at my LFS.

Those are usually only available from endlers breeders. Nothing that you would find outside of authentic breeders can carry anything but a hybrid class unless you want to foot the bill for genetic testing.

Could I order from the classifieds on this site? Checked them out this morning and there seem to be some nice ones. If I have a choice as to which type of endlers to get, is there a difference between the color variants?

Could I order from the classifieds on this site? Checked them out this morning and there seem to be some nice ones. If I have a choice as to which type of endlers to get, is there a difference between the color variants?

Yes you can.
You may also want to check out local fish clubs. They can be a good resource for fish, plants, and supplies. Some have auctions where you can get great deals on all sorts of stuff. The [url="http://www.jras.org/]James River Aquarium Society[/URL] has regular monthly meetings and auctions. I belong to a similar club that meets in the northern part of the commonwealth.
Sorry, can't help you with specific endler questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most of what I know about endlers has more to do with the destruction of their habitats and their extinction in the wild. For this reason I suggest you leave the purist endlers to those breeders dedicated to the reintroduction project.

Endlers hybrids are sometimes more beautiful than their pure counterparts, and if usually if you are going to order from a breeder they are usually happy too answer questions that you have and help you get the best variety for your set up.

Got 5 ghost shrimp and one nerite snail from Petsmart last night. My betta hasn't eaten them yet, so I'd say he is shrimp safe. :) Yaay! Now how do I feed the shrimp so the betta doesn't get the food? Have flake, freeze dried and floating pellet fish foods, plus some frozen mysis.

Got 5 ghost shrimp and one nerite snail from Petsmart last night. My betta hasn't eaten them yet, so I'd say he is shrimp safe. :) Yaay! Now how do I feed the shrimp so the betta doesn't get the food? Have flake, freeze dried and floating pellet fish foods, plus some frozen mysis.

At night while the Betta sleeps? fry food (powdered food)? tablets that sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could I try to saturate the flake in a separate cup until it sinks, then put it in the tank? I like the idea about putting the food in while the betta is asleep,
:thanks:Hadn't thought of that!

Back
Top Bottom