Stocking Suggestions for 40Gallon Tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I've been on quite the break from my aquariums,

I'm a double major in college, and just pretty much let my aquarium dwindle down to nothing, everyone slowly died off after about 3 or so years, and I wasn't even fully stocked in the first place!

So, I decided that I would clean it up and move it in my room, which I did.

So far I have one very old pleco in this tank, he has got to be at least 2 or so years olds, along with 5 Fancy Guppies, which are by far my FAVORITE live bearers.

Does anyone else have some suggestions of what else I could put in here? It's been a good week and a half since these guys joined, and the tank is and has been fully cycled.

P.S.

The tank is running a Fluval 404 filter...

You could likely get away with angels in that size of a tank, and you'd have a ready made guppy fry cleaning crew.

Another alternative is to go out and get a few female guppies from different stores and let them, coupled with your 5 now, just breed out to fill in your tank. You could keep 30-40 adult guppies in a tank that size with a pleco before you'd have to start worrying about what to do with the fry.

I strongly suggest some GBR'S, some cories and ottos for clean up crew, get a school of some kind of tetra. (I like black skirted tetras and red-eyed tetras). In a 40 gallon with tetras get a school of like 8-10. More if you want. I would also suggest some killifish. They are way awesome, stay close to the top, and like to be in schools of 4 or more. Also another top water fish that would be awesome to have are hatches silver or marble. They are cool. I would get some but i'm on a budget and need to save for filters and lighting lol.

i personally like Angels but they take up a bunch of your bioload for the tank as they can get pretty big. and as i said in my other post i like GBR's and tetras as well.

Ive never kept GBRs before, I had planned to increase my guppy population, and flow over into my 10 and 12 gallon aquariums that I plan to set back up here soon. Fancy Guppys have always been by far one of my favorite fish.

As far as Angels, that was my original intent with this aquarium, but I have feeling they will breed easy in my water, and I will so want to keep them, no idea if my LFS will even take any back.

I think I'm going to go back to the fish store later tonight, after I do my water change for the week, and see what they have right now

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom