Stocking tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 55g with 2 Common Pleco, a silver dollar, 2 parrott cichilids and a clown loach. I purchased this tank 2 years ago from a friend (with the fish already in it) When I originally bought the tank it had the fish above plus one more common pleco, 3 angels, 3 tiger barbs and 8 little grey fish (no idea what they were however the cichilids ate them) I have since cycled another 44 g tank and moved all the fish except what I mentioned above...does that make sense?...lol) When I bought the tank I knew nothing about the fish but after doing alot of research and reading on here, I know these fish should not be together. As well they are growing out the tank. I've decided to take the 2 parrott cichilids to the pet store (they have become so aggressive towards the other fish and I think need a bigger home)
Here I am left with the 2 pleco, a silver dollar and a clown loach wondering what to do next??? I was thinking about getting 2 more clown loaches (knowing that I will have to get a bigger tank one day) or does anyone have a suggestion as for the best way to stock my tank? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated :)

I would take the Clown loaches back to the store. They have been known to grow 12-13 inches and need 100+ gallon tanks for the appropriate school. Keeping them in the tank could possibly stunt the growth of the loach (They can grow 7-8 inches in one year)

Also, the plecos are going to have to go. They can get 18-24 inches, possibly bigger, and they need also need 100+ gallon tanks. You could replace them with a single bristlenose pleco (Stays 4-5 inches and are great algae eaters)

As for the stocking, I would raise the school of silver dollars to 6-8 (they are known to be shy and skittish without school mates). What other fish do you like?

I only have one clown loch right now (and I'm kinda attached to him). I want the blood parrot cichilids gone, they are such an aggressive fish. My silver dollar is a little skittish but I think that has more to do with the parrots more than anything. Maybe keep the clown loach, silver dollar and one pleco and then stock with some smaller fish?

I should add the silver dollar is around 10 years old and has always been with these fish ( these poor fish have been passed on from person to person a few times). Anyways don't know if that makes a difference or not...

I would still get rid of the Loach and Plecos, they get way to big to be housed in there.

Back
Top Bottom