Stocking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 46 litre tank, I have 6 harlequin rasbora, 6 neon green rasbora and 1 male betta. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on having any more fish in a tank this size and if so what fish or is this enough in a tank that size as I don't want to over stock and stress out my fish. Any helps appreciated. Thanks

Depending on the attitude of the betta, that's all I'd have.
(I have a single male betta in 45 litres)

Have a back up plan in case he gets nasty.

Once these fish have grown out the tank would be full to slightly over but that's my opinion.
It looks like a tall tank so it would be less convenient for the river fish.
If you can save for a 2ft tank, keep the betta in the 45 and stick everything else in the 15g.

Thanks for the advice it's my first aquarium (had to be small because of my flat) but I was just going off what my local aquatics centre suggested I got and fish they said ect. I already regret getting a small tank and I see what you mean about not being ideal for river fish, I will no doubt find a way to fit a bigger tank in soon. Thanks !

I have a 46 litre tank, I have 6 harlequin rasbora, 6 neon green rasbora and 1 male betta. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on having any more fish in a tank this size and if so what fish or is this enough in a tank that size as I don't want to over stock and stress out my fish. Any helps appreciated. Thanks

Which equals 12g

How long have you had these fish together ?

Can you post a pic of your tank ( full tank shot ) ?

Because your M kubotai are tiny, they are well suited to a 10g as long as the Betta isn't intimidating them or stealing all the food.

I don't think you have room for more fish, but you can always add plants ?

Watch for aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had them together for nearly a week I've been checking for aggression and so for so good. They seem to steer clear of each other. And don't seem stressed (in my opinion) but I am an amateur This is a full shot of my tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424808014.798716.jpg

No worries! The answer you gave is pretty good! So I won't beat on about tank size and all that waffle, we all have to start somewhere so welcome to Fishkeeping!

All I'd say is keep an eye on it because smaller systems are a bit more involved, what else? Oh, the 10% water change idea is rubbish! I used to do that but it's not enough. 20-30% makes a difference. You may need 2-3 per week as this system develops. Other than that, enjoy it! It really is fun.

Is that an edge tank? If it is, how are they for access? I looked at these, they sort of float. My only concern was getting in it to clean. They look sharp though!

I do 20% water changes about 2 times a week while the waters still cycling for next month properly. But I'm enjoying it so far. It is the fluval edge yes. It's a lovely looking tank however it is a bit of a pain accessing the tank. Having to find ornaments that will fit through the small gap at the top and also cleaning the walls is quiet difficult especially near the top, I will say the filter is amazing. Although the idea of the tank is to be filled to the top allowing you to see through the top I was advised by various fish places to leave a gap at the top as the tank doesn't get enough oxygen into the water with the setup. Makes sense being that the gap is only 10 inches wide. However the tank does look the nuts. Aqua vis do a 130 litre version that also looks lovely

With fake plants, keep an eye on your BETTA's fins. I only use silk plants with my Bettas, if I'm going to use fake, because they can tear their fins on sharp edges of fake plants.

Your nano fish will appreciate live plants as well.

Try Java Ferns or Anubias nana Petite.

Also when the tank was filled to the top you got air bubbles in the corners where the filter was pushing air in and I was constantly using my algae magnet to pull the bubbles back into the gap. Very annoying after doing it 3-4 times a day due to minor OCD !

Thanks courair. I put a post up on here earlier because the day I bought my betta (last Saturday) I noticed fin rot or tears and was slightly concerned for his health and have been advised to get real or silk plants instead of plastic so this weekend il venture out and get some as I don't want his fins to get any worse. Especially by my doing

Never fill an Edge tank up completely with a betta fish in it, they can drown. If not today. then soon. They need that surface air for survival. If they don't consistently find the opening that can lead to disaster.

you can Google other peoples' threads on the subject. I do not recommend bettas for edge tanks for that reason.

For now I would lower your water and just put your OCD on a shelf for today.

Wow, you've pretty much got it sorted then! That water level thing seems to make sense, and the nuts, yeah, that phrase works too!

(Good luck netting them when you need to!:D)
Yeah, I'm smiling when I think about that!
Am I cruel? :angel: Sorry!:ROFLMAO:

Since I've had the betta I've left the air gap at about 1 inch just to be sure and so far it seems fine And yes I'm dreading trying to net the fish out of that tank

There are lots of threads of people planting their Edge tanks you can look at for inspiration. You could get a small Cholla piece and glue or tie a Java Fern or Anubias to it.

Back
Top Bottom