Stocking the new 55g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle6367

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey all,
So I'm all set with my 55 gallon setup, and I'm beginning to add fish! As of now I'm going to a community tank which will be mostly tetras.
So far I added:
5 bloodfin tetras
7 pristella tetras
5 Cory
1 small angel

The angel was a last minute decision, but I gave in and bought it for a center piece fish. I heard many people say they will work and just as many saying they won't work in a tetra community tank. So my question is what are your thoughts, and what else do you suggest I add to the tank. My goal is to have an active colorful tank.

Thanks!!

Since you are starting with a small angel, and it was added last (correct?), it might work out. I learned the hard way that angels can "switch" personalities when they get full-grown. Took me awhile before I figured out that's why my tetras were disappearing!

Good luck and let us all know how it works out in the long run. :)

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Since you are starting with a small angel, and it was added last (correct?), it might work out. I learned the hard way that angels can "switch" personalities when they get full-grown. Took me awhile before I figured out that's why my tetras were disappearing!

Good luck and let us all know how it works out in the long run. :)

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I just had a Koi angel eat one of my Black Phantom Tetras on Friday. Used to be a very peaceful fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm hoping since they are together as babies he spares them when he gets bigger! Any ideas on future additions? Maybe rummy nose, cherry barbs, glow lights .. Some other schooling fish?

Gold tetras are awesome (if you can even find them). They look like they've been coated in gold.

Glow light danios are pretty cool too. They have an orangey striped glowing look (not to be confused with the glow light tetra).

Furcata rainbowfish are funny and really cool looking (this might just be me as a rainbowfish lover) and I would highly suggest them.

My final suggestion is sawbwa rasboras. They're a little larger then the other 2, but are a nice aqua blue with orangey red tipped fins and nose.

I'm hoping since they are together as babies he spares them when he gets bigger! Any ideas on future additions? Maybe rummy nose, cherry barbs, glow lights .. Some other schooling fish?

If you can find them, I have a couple of Praecox Rainbows. They're beautiful fish but most pet shops carry juveniles so they are tough if most of your fish are large

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep an eye on your Pristella's, I had to get rid of a school as they would nip the crap out of my Gourami and Angel pec fins.

Cherry barbs are peaceful and the males have great color. They don't need to be in large groups, a 2F/1M trio is fine.

Back
Top Bottom